cut inches

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
kbenz
3 Star Elite Contributing Member

cut inches

Post by kbenz »

I have a torchmate. having trouble figuring cut inches. I was posting in the pricing thread but decided to start a new post.
I imported a 12" x12" square (48" total right?) my driver came up with .56 seconds cutting. x 60 ipm = 33.6 cut inches. what could I be doing wrong?
WSS
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Re: cut inches

Post by WSS »

Not sure how that calculated but .8min (48secs) is how long it will take to cut that piece @60ipm

WSS
kbenz

Post by kbenz »

that's still only works out to 28.8 cut inches?
muzza
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by muzza »

I think what is confusing you is you are seeing the 56 seconds or 48 seconds as a decimal of .56 or .48 when in fact 56 seconds is 56/60ths as a fraction and 48 seconds is 48/60ths which is a decimal of .93 and .80 respectively.

Try a square 15 inches, that would add up 60 inches cut which at 60 ipm would equate to 60 seconds or 1 minute, if it doesn't maybe your system is factoring in pierce time
SignTorch Vector Art
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by SignTorch Vector Art »

muzza is right

56 seconds * 1 inch per second = 56 inches

.9333 minutes * 60 inch per minute = 56 inches

the machine accelerates and decelerates at each end point, it does not travel 60 ipm (max speed) constantly

so cut time is a function of actual speed (which varies), not max speed, plus pierce and dwell times
kbenz

Post by kbenz »

did a 15" square. came up 1:09 = 65.4 inches. this variance is due to ramp up and down speeds. I am seeing that now.

so how do I get a more accurate cut inch measurement on stuff with lots of curves and turns(artsy stuff)? or am I just stuck with what I got?

thanks
runninwild400
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by runninwild400 »

I have a torchmate as well and had the same problem, for calculating cost I had to figure a cost per minute and use that instead of cut inchs, I actually figure the cost right to the second. I don't think there is a way to figure out the cut inches without loading another program and running the file through it.
Brian
Metal-Magic
jmsrbrt
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by jmsrbrt »

I would think figuring cost for pierces and cut inches, would be enough to more than cover, or worry about, the ramping up or down speeds, or dwell. My 2 cents. Bob.
Torchmate 2 with ATHC & Water table
Corel 12, Turbo Cad
TD Cutmaster 51
San Marcos, Texas
kbenz

Post by kbenz »

jmsrbrt wrote:I would think figuring cost for pierces and cut inches, would be enough to more than cover, or worry about, the ramping up or down speeds, or dwell. My 2 cents. Bob.
agreed. I'm just gonna keep doin what I'm doin ;)

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutters General Forum”