Conversion help

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
C_R_DeJong
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Conversion help

Post by C_R_DeJong »

Hey guys,

I am working with Coreldraw and have been running through many of the tutorials on youtube to learn an easy way to convert images to DXF files. Could someone help out with this conversion and give me advice on the easiest way to convert such files? I toggle back between programs, converting the image to a black and white document and then run it through the trace function on coreldraw.

Can anyone help with this conversion and let me know any tricks of the trade they used?
simba_standing.JPG

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

SignTorch Vector Art
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Re: Conversion help

Post by SignTorch Vector Art »

there are ways to improve images before tracing, in this case I did a threshold in photoshop, closed a few openings, outlined perimeter, draw to thicken interior features and eliminate noise, gaussian blur, threshold again, erase more noise, select and smooth and refill, now it still needs more drawing time to smooth roughness and thicken thin places, all done about 10 times the original size, then it may be practical to try to trace to vectors, there is always a lot of cleanup to be done before (or after) tracing, I say it's easier to do as much as possible before tracing because once it becomes vectors it's much harder to work with... it can be a real science project...
C_R_DeJong
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Re: Conversion help

Post by C_R_DeJong »

that makes a lot of sense. I have found myself trying to "clean up and prepare" each image as much as possible before creating a vecotr out of it. I am going to try to use your strategy as a benchmark. Do you recommend "cleaning" the images in photoshop? I find coreldraw a little difficult to use during this part of the converting process.

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutters General Forum”