Fine Cut Consumable life

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
Kentuckyfarmer
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Fine Cut Consumable life

Post by Kentuckyfarmer »

I have been useing fc 45 amp with my hypertherm 65.
Is it just me or do they have a lot less life than regular tips?
My thc seems to be working fine air is clean and dry,
just dont seem to last as long.
Any thoughts would be a help
Thanks
Mike
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Fine Cut Consumable life

Post by jimcolt »

The FineCut consumables are of an unshielded design...this provides for better cut quality on materials thinner than about 1/8" (narrower kerf, squarer edges)...but will not provide anywhere near the life expectancy of the shielded 45 amp consumables.

Here are a couple of things that will get the best life from your Fine Cut cnsumables:

-Make sure you are using the 220948 shield deflector. This does not make the consumables truly "shield technology", but does extend a few thousandths below the nozzle, protecting it from plate contact. I get much longer life using this part for mechanized cutting.

- Clean...Dry...Air!

- Make sure your Powermax65 is set in the auto air pressure mode.

- While the cut charts suggest using the FineCut parts to 45 amps...I get best results (combination of life and cut quality) below 40 amps....most often I use them at 35 amps. I have had to play with slower speeds as compared to the book specs...but maintain the suggested height (.06").

Hope this helps. I generally stick with the 45 amp shielded consumables all the way down to 26 gauge....unless I need a narrower kerf. 95% of the time the 45 amp shielded process is more than adequate for my needs...and about 2 to 3x the life.

Jim Colt
Kentuckyfarmer
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by Kentuckyfarmer »

Thanks Jim
I have 1 swirll ring that is marked fine cut but the book shows using the same ring for all tips.
I am using a deflector that does not cover the tip will have to try some of the others
Thanks for the input
Mike
jimcolt

Post by jimcolt »

Use the same swirl ring that you use for the higher powered consumables....the special FineCut swirl ring is only for hand held cutting applications.....should not be used for mechanized.

Jim

Kentuckyfarmer wrote:Thanks Jim
I have 1 swirll ring that is marked fine cut but the book shows using the same ring for all tips.
I am using a deflector that does not cover the tip will have to try some of the others
Thanks for the input
Mike
Kentuckyfarmer
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by Kentuckyfarmer »

Thanks Jim
That makes sense, I dont see me doinf much handheld that would benefit from fine cut, unless I am trying to make hacksaw blade (grin)
Thanks Mike

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutters General Forum”