saving a file

Corel Draw Graphics Suite related questions and tips can be posted here
GWS.Arkansas
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

saving a file

Post by GWS.Arkansas »

Ok I am using Corel Draw X3. When i draw something and go to save it . Should I save it as a dxf file of cmx file or cdr file or something else. Any advise would be great. Thank you all
SignTorch Vector Art
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Re: saving a file

Post by SignTorch Vector Art »

If you save as DXF, depending on the DXF version, it will discard a lot of potentially relevant corel drawing data.

Normally, just save in the native CDR format, it can be opened with any later or compatible corel version. That goes for any software i.e. like plasmacam saves PCM files, autocad saves DWG files.

For distribution, save or export CMX, it can be opened with almost any corel version.

For cutting, export DXF as necessary, usually for secondary purposes only, DXF is rarely the primary format for graphical project management/storage in any software, it is an exchange format (like CMX).

DXF = drawing EXCHANGE format

CMX = corel EXCHANGE format

Both CDR and CMX are way more efficient as far as file size because they are compressed binary data, whereas DXF is uncompressed text such that a lot of nodes with a lot of decimal places showing can make for a huge file.

Return to “Corel Draw Graphics Suite”