Cold rolled or P&O?

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
AnotherDano
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Cold rolled or P&O?

Post by AnotherDano »

I've been driving 65 miles each way for my steel. 14ga is $130 for a 4x10 and they slice it for me.

I found another distributor that is closer, about 45 miles each way who gave me a price of $80 for the same thing...
The only difference is that I have to order a week in advance, then they order it delivered to them drom Denver (to Cheyenne).

That's too much of a difference to be taken lightly and I'm skeptical.

I haven't used P&O much but seem to recall that it could easily be taken for CR.
Even so, that still seems to be too much of a difference in price.

Is there a way to recognize P&O vs. CR?

Your thoughts/experiences, please.
Dano Roberts
droberts@ironpequod.com
PlasmaCam DHC-2 v3.11
Hypertherm PowerMax-30
Serving Laramie, Wy since Thursday
rock4xfab
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Re: Cold rolled or P&O?

Post by rock4xfab »

Going to be to tell unless you are around it every day and seeing the difference from the mfg. My opinon they cut the same. P&O is only HR with scale removed. CR only goes to 7 GA they can not roll it any thicker
Bigrhamr
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Bigrhamr »

Dano,
I usually have P&O, CR and HR on hand in different gauges. Visually the P&O is kind of mottled grey-silver instead of the shiny surface of CR. If it's getting powdercoated or painted I can't say that I see a difference in the finished product with CR or P&O. If you are polishing it say for a patina then CR is definitely better, even though P&O has no mill scale it still takes a lot of grinding to put a shine on it.

Since I got my water table one thing I have noticed is when cutting HR the water traps nearly everything and there is very little if any smoke going up. With either CR or P&O it is oily and I get a lot of airborne smoke even though the dust is going down into the water.

One thing I notice about pricing in this area is they all want to give you some honeymoon prices to start then they gradually jack it up. Several times I've referred new guys to steel suppliers and they get better prices than I do as an established customer :x
Streetwerkz
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Streetwerkz »

I am a P&O fan personally.

cuts nicer than hot rolled
no NEED (even though we do anyhow) to blast befor coating
just wipe down with denatured alcohol befor welding, no mil scale sanding.

around here crs, & p&o are usually about the same cost
Joshua Robinson
www.Streetwerkz.com
AnotherDano
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by AnotherDano »

Thanks guys.
I just can't believe the price difference... And I asked twice to make sure he understood what I was looking for and the size.

I guess the only thing to do is order a couple of sheets and see what arrives.

Josh, I have had some inconsistencies with HR in both cutting and coating. That's when I decided to go with CR only. Maybe I should revisit it.
Dano Roberts
droberts@ironpequod.com
PlasmaCam DHC-2 v3.11
Hypertherm PowerMax-30
Serving Laramie, Wy since Thursday
mdwalker
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by mdwalker »

I realize we are in different parts of the country but my price today for hr 14ga is $ 1.79 sq ft or $ 71.60 for a 4x10 sheet. And that is with todays high steel prices. I am fortunate enough to have a large supplier about 20 miles away plus I can order & have delivered from several companies in Oklahoma City, Dallas, & Tulsa. I am about halfway between Oklahoma City & Dallas. Even if you are a small business don't be afraid to check with steel suppliers from larger cities. Dallas & Oklahoma City are both about 120 miles away from me & I have no problem having steel delivered to my door. Obviously the more you order the cheaper it is but some suppliers will deliver smaller quantities to you if they are already running a route in your area.

Danny
Danny Walker
Walker Manufacturing
Tishomingo, Oklahoma USA
www.walkermfg.net
Streetwerkz
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Streetwerkz »

I wouldn't hesitate to tell you to try the p&o out, it cuts nice & clean, second coming of Christ, and clears away unsightly butt pimples :lol:

I think you will like werking with p&o material
Joshua Robinson
www.Streetwerkz.com
DARRYL21270
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by DARRYL21270 »

I just ordered 40 sheets of 4'x8' 14 gauge @ $67.00 per sheet and 10 sheets of 11gauge 4'x8' @ $103.00 per sheet $90.00 delivery charge. The steel went up in price by $2.00 from 3 months ago.
rock4xfab
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by rock4xfab »

DARRYL21270 wrote:I just ordered 40 sheets of 4'x8' 14 gauge @ $67.00 per sheet and 10 sheets of 11gauge 4'x8' @ $103.00 per sheet $90.00 delivery charge. The steel went up in price by $2.00 from 3 months ago.
Where are you located and what steel supplier do you use.. We use central steel and wire out of chicago for plate and Milwuakee tube and Iron for all my tubing.
DARRYL21270
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by DARRYL21270 »

RJ Phillips Steel out of Sussex County New Jersey
Streetwerkz
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Streetwerkz »

We use Alro steel, they have over 30 locations & are usually considerably cheaper than central steel for us.

they have a Chicago location 708-343-4343
Joshua Robinson
www.Streetwerkz.com
twicecustom
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by twicecustom »

I just called my supplier, 4'x8' 14 gauge is $67.00 per sheet also fer me.
Jack of all trades, Master of none.
Benjiman

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutters General Forum”