Question about cleaning up a .dxf file for cutting

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
Hot Stuff
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Question about cleaning up a .dxf file for cutting

Post by Hot Stuff »

I've got a .dxf file of a old mustang that I'd like to burn out, but I'm not sure how/what to remove to make it so that the whole image doesn't fall out of the sheet. I'd like to make it so that the image stays and the little cut-outs actually cut-out instead of the opposite. Sorry if I'm confusing.
12.DXF
Let me know if you can help, or give me tips as to what lines to keep/delete. Thanks a bunch!

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

Dennis
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Re: Question about cleaning up a .dxf file for cutting

Post by Dennis »

That file is not really plasma friendly...It would need a little work .. More of a vinyl cutter type of a file.. ;)
jmsrbrt
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by jmsrbrt »

Hot Stuff wrote:I've got a .dxf file of a old mustang that I'd like to burn out, but I'm not sure how/what to remove to make it so that the whole image doesn't fall out of the sheet. I'd like to make it so that the image stays and the little cut-outs actually cut-out instead of the opposite. Sorry if I'm confusing.
12.DXF
Let me know if you can help, or give me tips as to what lines to keep/delete. Thanks a bunch!
The simple answer here is to take out any nodes from a circle, and make it into a curve. And looking at your drawing, you have a lot of nodes to remove. It's going to be very time consuming.
Torchmate 2 with ATHC & Water table
Corel 12, Turbo Cad
TD Cutmaster 51
San Marcos, Texas
mdwalker
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by mdwalker »

Hot Stuff wrote:I've got a .dxf file of a old mustang that I'd like to burn out, but I'm not sure how/what to remove to make it so that the whole image doesn't fall out of the sheet. I'd like to make it so that the image stays and the little cut-outs actually cut-out instead of the opposite. Sorry if I'm confusing.
12.DXF
One thing you can do is convert your file to a .jpg file & open it in a photo editor program like adobe photoshop or even microsoft paint would probably work. I use photoshop elements. Anyway open up the .jpg image & use the "fill" tool. It looks like a paint can. Click on a part of the image that you want to be solid metal & fill it with whatever color you want. I use black. Everything that changes to black will be what will cut out as a solid piece. This will let you see the areas that you will have to edit to make it cut the way you want it. I converted the file to .jpg for you. The second file, 12_DXF_002.jpg, I clicked to fill the rear quarter panel. Everything colored black is what is connected. I hope this makes sense, give it a try and see if it helps.

Danny

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

Danny Walker
Walker Manufacturing
Tishomingo, Oklahoma USA
www.walkermfg.net
mdwalker

Post by mdwalker »

sorry admin, forgot to resize the images :?
Danny Walker
Walker Manufacturing
Tishomingo, Oklahoma USA
www.walkermfg.net
SignTorch Vector Art
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by SignTorch Vector Art »

nice picture... I just drew over it with nice thick lines
Last edited by SignTorch Vector Art on Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
aicomp
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by aicomp »

I agree with the idea of software that will show fill. My Torchmate Cad has this feature. I have to use it all the time when working with BMP files , tracing, and adding elements to a design.
Mike
http://www.PenningtonFab.com
Torchmate 3 with Accumove 3
Hypertherm 1250
Hypertherm 85
Hypertherm 380
Lincoln V205T Tig
Lincoln wirematic 250
Eastwood 175 with Spoolgun
Eastwood 135 Mig
BrianMick
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by BrianMick »

The new design edge software from plasma cam also has this fill feature, I did the webinar this morning and It looked way better for designing
Brian
Hot Stuff
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Hot Stuff »

Thanks guys. This is kinda greek to me. I just started learning this plasma stuff. I don't have any software to be able to do much with it. Maybe I'll just look around for a different image to use. I'm doing this for my uncle. He's got a '68 Shelby GT350, '71 BOSS 351, and a '01 Cobra-R. I'd like to get him an image of the shelby mor so than the others.

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutters General Forum”