Sooooo off topic.......- Empty Container Uses

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
Loyd
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Sooooo off topic.......- Empty Container Uses

Post by Loyd »

I am appealing to all the erudite, intelligent and inventive minds that so often stride in these scholarly halls.....those of you that have grand ideas.....lofty thoughts and soaring moments of artistic and mechanical inspiration.....not mere mortals such as I, but abide in the ether capacious far above the lowly peons of earth. Who experience moments of rapturous brain activity that those of us who abide in the netherlands of this globe to which we are tethered by unseen forces of nature that only affect creatures of sub-artistic endeavors. I am searching for a profitable use of empty containers of the 55 gl drum variety....plastic and white in color.
Any ideas?
8-) Loyd 8-)
De inimico non loquaris sed cogites
Do not wish ill upon your enemies, plan it.
AnotherDano
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Re: Sooooo off topic.......

Post by AnotherDano »

Locate your local powder coaters. they are always looking for containers to fill with stripper, that are large enough for the big parts.
Dano Roberts
droberts@ironpequod.com
PlasmaCam DHC-2 v3.11
Hypertherm PowerMax-30
Serving Laramie, Wy since Thursday
MetalMastersInc
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by MetalMastersInc »

If would buy a dozen of them from you right now if you were closer Loyd, especially if they have the lids still on them. I use them for chemical stripping tanks and also to hold my blast media that needs to be screened, trash barrels around the shop, etc.

Someone really needs to invent a teleporter to deal with this whole bothersome distance thing...

:D

Zack
WSS
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by WSS »

Here in southern California we use them for earthquake preparedness. Every household should have at least one. Are they clean enough for water storage?

WSS
Loyd

Post by Loyd »

These barrels held high ph detergent used in the car wash industry. The tops do not come off.. Speaking of earthquakes...(I used to live in Blythe, CA)...we have had over 1000 earthquakes here in central AR since last October! 4.2 or less....
Loyd
Mountain Home
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by Mountain Home »

Loyd , have you thought about cutting them in half and making a stand so they could be sold for livestock feeding troughs? I've seen them used that way but I don't know what they would be worth.
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

put some kind of a handle on the side..... really big beer mugs...?
I think I'm the oldest 10 year old boy on the forum...
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Scratch :roll:

Loyd, I have a few of those that sit in an old trailer all the time. I fill them with turnings and drops as I produce them and saves me from seperating all of the scrap on a Saturday afternoon to take them to the recycler. Just hook the trailer up and go.

What I really wanted to do with them was paint them black and cut a "wrap" with an ornate pattern from 16g brushed stainless steel sheet. Use this to wrap the barrel and create unique, high end looking rain barrels and see if any money could be made. For the wealthy enviromental types. The pattern in this thread http://plasmaspider.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=3693 from nuno115 would be perfect!
Bigrhamr
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Bigrhamr »

Well this idea will be almost as tacky as a yard full of pink flamingos but you asked for it..

A few years ago when the mandatory change of propane tank valve type happened a buddy of mine started making
"Propane Pigs" out of the obsolete tanks. Some scrap pipe legs, nuts and washers for facial features and a twisted strip of metal for a tail and he had a hot seller in the farmers markets and recycled art shows.

Get creative with the barrels and your scrap pile and turn out a herd of Holsteins or Sheep. They'll sell, you can call them green art and put on a nice little card about how much stuff you're keeping out of landfills. :roll:
AnotherDano
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by AnotherDano »

Cut them in half (bathtub style, not rain barrel planter) and mount them on wheels for garden debris wagons for towing behind the riding mower. If they are strong enough, that is.
Dano Roberts
droberts@ironpequod.com
PlasmaCam DHC-2 v3.11
Hypertherm PowerMax-30
Serving Laramie, Wy since Thursday
Loyd

Post by Loyd »

These are some good ideas....most of them....Scratch you are a nut case...lol. Keep the ideas coming...I will try a few and when I do I will post some pics and donate some of the money to Plasmaspider....
Thanks!
Loyd
Eagle Mtn Metal Works
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by Eagle Mtn Metal Works »

Hey Loyd
I think that elkriverfab could have used some of those when he was making the kiddie train. PVC is defiantly better then steel.
Rod
Rod S in AZ
srp
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by srp »

Movable planter tubs are in demand now.slice them up and add casters. Get some rattle cans of paint for plastic and you are good to go!
ornametals
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by ornametals »

i've been planning on making a composter out one. build a stand and your in busness.
pony
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by pony »

Rain barrels seems like a good use.

You could paint them and sell them to the equine world for barrel racers.

How about converting your 6 gallon shop vac in to a 55 gallon mega shop vac.

They could be cut to make outdoor seating with the addition of some legs, one barrel could yield two seats.

If they are perfectly cylindrical you could add a axel and make them in to lawn rollers, the buyer would fill with water or sand after getting it home.

Cut them in half and sell them with 5 cans of baked beans as a redneck jacuzzi

I'm not too sure about feed troughs, I just bought some 55 gallon barrels to make in to grain feed storage containers for the horses. I was very choosy about what they had contained previously, I managed to find some that had previously contained tomatoes. I wouldn't have used any that contained chemicals, not only because of the risk of not having it cleaned completely, but also the risk of the smell being transferred to the feed and making it unpalatable.
pony
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by pony »

minnfatz
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by minnfatz »

You could start making floating swimming platforms and selling them. I have a friend that is building one using 6 barrels.
muzza
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by muzza »

LLoyd, here's one that just came through my mailbox, a honey cow. http://www.instructables.com/id/Make-yo ... -Bee-Hive/
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

Great link there Pony, That should give him some ideas. I went through the ideas and WTF? People need swimming pool COOLERS! You people that live in the south... do your pools actually get too hot for you?!?!?

My dad has owned a pool business all his life so we alsways had a pool, but I've never dreamed that the pool would get too hot...

I hate living in Wisconsin. :x
I think I'm the oldest 10 year old boy on the forum...

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutters General Forum”