Stuck with the basics....- Metal Deforms when Cutting

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
SCHIDTHEAD
3 Star Elite Contributing Member
3 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Stuck with the basics....

Post by SCHIDTHEAD »

My previous THC worked great and I was going to post a similar drastic height change video from my phone--I can't figure out how to download it to my PC, but I just installed a new updated THC today and will have it running tomorrow, so I'll get one up to see a WinCNC THC at work. I wouldn't buy or build a table without one IMHO
"Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one."--Thomas Paine 1776
WSS
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by WSS »

Here is a very nice THC with great support......

http://dynatorch.com/avhtctrl.htm

Our table has this basic system integrated into our software, which is the same one shown in the you-tube video posted by pony. This one shown is a stand alone that should work on any Plasma with AV output. Very smooth and fast. It tracks great, keeps the kerf narrow and predictable. REALLY helps consumable life.

WSS

I should point out that the picture shown does not have the servo attached and the break-away mount is a optional feature I think.
MC8.jpg
Last edited by WSS on Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:49 am, edited 4 times in total.
WSS
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by WSS »

jimcolt wrote:Yeah Bill, the The Powermax85 mini torch is in the pictures, cute huh?

So how is that cute torch and the 85 working?

That short torch would be cool for round hole beveling with a koike or bug-o circle burner.

WSS
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by jimcolt »

We have been selling the mini torch since last November.....and customers are happy with it....so I think it is working well. I just installed the one on my machine a few days ago...replaced a Powermax45. I have not used it much, but since it does everything that the 45 did and more, I'm sure I will be happy!

Jim
Scratch
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by Scratch »

jimcolt wrote:Those are great videos.....that is the way height control is supposed to work with plasma torches. Cannot possibly do that with manual control of height!

Jim Colt
I hate to bragg.... but I could do both of the cuts on both of those videos with my manual pendant control. Don't get me wrong... I wouldn't want to, and it might not be as perfect, but if a customer came to me with that bent up metal and wanted me to cut it out, I could do it first try. Keep in mind every darn cut I make is manual THC so I got lotsa practice with it...

I wouldn't mind trying it, but I'll have to wait until my surgery's over to do it.
I think I'm the oldest 10 year old boy on the forum...
jimcolt

Post by jimcolt »

Beg to differ. For best cut quality and longest consumable life:

1. You need to pierce at the pierce height listed in the plasma system manual. It is usually 1.5 times the cut height.
2. after the pierce starts...you must count off the pierce delay time. Too little, and you can blow back materials on the nozzle, which double arcs the nozzle...and starts the wear cycle. Too long...and the arc voltage goes way up and there is additional heat load on the nozzle.
3. As soon as the pierce time is complete, index down to cut height. Foe a Hyperthem system it is .060" (plus or minus .010").....and maintain that accurately throughout the cut.

You cannot do this by hand. You can cut the part succesfully with manual height, but you will not achieve repeatable part tolerances, and you will use consumables faster. I won't even argue with you on that!

An added bonus on my machine with a good THC....I can program 100 parts and go do something else. When I come back they will be done.

Jim Colt

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutters General Forum”