Making work supports, without work supports

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
pony
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Making work supports, without work supports

Post by pony »

I attempted to cut my first 'larger' piece (bigger than the 6 inch test pieces) yesterday and realized this just isn't going to work without something to support the work. I was going to cut some long slats to lay in the water table, that was until I realized I really needed something to support the slats I was trying to cut. Catch 22.

My cut area is just 4 feet by 2 feet so the work is not huge, but when pieces are cut they inevitably follow gravity away from the machine torch :lol:
The base of the table isn't exactly flat either, I messed that up by using too thin a sheet metal with too high a welding temperature :oops:

I didn't think to pick up some thinner material, the thinnest I have is 14 ga, if you think this is too much I'll make another trip next weekend and pickup something thinner.

I call upon the wisdom of the forum from some innovative ideas to make the supports. A simple DXF file would help too.
Scratch
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Making work supports, without work supports

Post by Scratch »

I'm confused.... Do you mean supporting the part of the metal sheet that that is hanging off the edge of the table? Like you're using a piece larger than 4X2?

Got any pics of what yer talking about?
I think I'm the oldest 10 year old boy on the forum...
pony
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by pony »

I'm sure I didn't use the right terminology. I mean the metal slats that go inside the water table and hold the metal being cut in place. From what I have seen they look like a grate.

Here are some elaborate ones (not sure if this is overkill?)

Here are some basic ones:
pony
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by pony »

I'm wondering if I couldn't just use some angle iron cut to size? I could weld 4 pieces around the inside of the water table to create a true flat ledge above the base of my uneven water table base. Then cut some more pieces of angle iron to run as slats from one side of this ledge to the other.

Any advantage in the fancy ones in my previous post ?
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

So does your table not have any slats?
Yes you need slats to hold up the sheet steel you're cutting, but I'm assuming you already have slats. Unless you're in the process of building your own table.

Slats are considered a consumable and in my opinion, because of that, I'd go with the simplest design possible, like the ones in your bottom pic.

Are you talking about using angle iron to hold the slats in place? Do that would mean you DONT have any slats, which would mean that you ARE building your own table right?

If you have bought a table from some company, it should already come with slats and slat holders...

I'm still confused... but I did just recently have a concussion so who knows...
FiveORacing
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by FiveORacing »

The slats in my table are just plain straps. There are 3 pieces of angle iron that have the plasma cut or cutoff saw slots to slide them in, one on each side and one down the center. The angle iron is stitch welded to the water table. The center piece is offset slightly so that when the slats are installed they curve across the table. When one side wears out you flip it for a new edge and I can swap around pieces if one area gets too much abuse. Pretty simple but very economical and you don't need a plasma cutter to make new slats.

If the slats are cut slightly short of the width needed there is room to slide a 6 inch curb piece in the tray on each side to contain sparks and water. See top picture.

(man, my water's ugly)

pony
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by pony »

Thanks for the replies.
I built my own water table. Its just 3x4 tubing with a 16 gauge base welded on, the legs are 3x3 tubing. It is pretty basic. I don't have any slats at all.
Apologies for the poor quality camera phone pics, and messy workshop. The table is a work in progress...

Scratch

Post by Scratch »

I get it now... but doesn't Torchmate offer some sort of slat holder for that system you got from them? Or at least pictures of what to use...
pony
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by pony »

Scratch wrote:I get it now... but doesn't Torchmate offer some sort of slat holder for that system you got from them? Or at least pictures of what to use...
Torchmate sell a water table for the 2x2 table, but not for the 2x4 table. I believe sales exploded when they released the 2x2 table, and it doesn't appear they are pushing the 2x4 (in fact it it not mentioned anywhere on their web site, they do have a YouTube video of it in action that is not linked to from their website).
I did all this on a tight budget and literally got the 2x4 system in 3 crates to build myself. It didn't have a water table, because my budget didn't allow for it.
The 2x2 water table is $750 + shipping. I didn't bother to ask for a 2x4 price. I built my 2x4 table for $200 or so in materials.
I'm going to go with FiveORacing's setup. It looks easy to create and easy to maintain.

Thanks for all your help.

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutters General Forum”