finish for magnet board?

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
parrotlady
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

finish for magnet board?

Post by parrotlady »

Hi folks, I just wondered if anyone has made any magnet boards, and if so, what kind of finish did you use? I would like to patina some cold rolled steel, but I will have to use a clearcoat to protect, but with strong magnets, wouldnt this scratch the board?

Thanks

April
Scratch
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: finish for magnet board?

Post by Scratch »

parrotlady wrote:Hi folks, I just wondered if anyone has made any magnet boards, and if so, what kind of finish did you use? I would like to patina some cold rolled steel, but I will have to use a clearcoat to protect, but with strong magnets, wouldnt this scratch the board?

Thanks

April
I've made a few magnet boards. One I made as a display board for all my little butterfly, dragonfly and other magnets to sell at craft shows. I used Sculpt Noooouuuuvvouvouwouwous Japanese Brown patina on it, then clear coated it with matt clear. I'll see if I can dig out a pic of it...
I think I'm the oldest 10 year old boy on the forum...
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

The first pic is one I made for a customer, Japanese Brown.

The next pic is one I took tonight of my display board, the lighting makes it look horrible, but it's not really that bad. I've had this magnet board at about 7-10 shows and I'm sure I've had alot of people sliding magnets across it at those shows. When I dug it out tonight it had about 10 loose rare earth magnets stuck to it that I had to drag across the board to remove. I can't tell where I slid them now. Most of the marks in this picture were made by me during the finish work. I like it rough..... I also like my metalwork to look rough...

Yes.... I went there.

This next picture is the "extras" I did for display purposes that someone might like. I put tubes in the lower corners, then made removeable "T bars" to make it stand up. (there's one laying on the ground to the left, and one in place in the tube) If it's not going be a stand alone display board, I also forged some decorative hooks in the upper corners to hang on some wire or something.
I made a removeable double sided sign holder from 3/16" solid stock that slides onto the top of the board, and also made a magnetic business card holder for my cards. (that's the dark square thing in the center) I tossed a few magnets on for the picture too.

This boad has seen alot of use and I still think it's held up pretty well. If it was for a customer, I wouldn't have any worries about scratches. I used standard Rustoleum Matte clearcoat from Menards.
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

Oh yeah... since it was double sided, I used Rustoleum Hammered Black on the back that you can see in the last pic. It's also held up pretty well I think. Every time I've had it at a show, it's been set up as a stand alone, double sided board, so people had access to both sides. The uniform black finish shows the scratches better than the varied mottled look of the patina on the other side, but those rare earth magnets I use, almost seem to glide right across the finish without making a mark. I think there's some teflon coating or something on those magnets... I could be wrong.... but monkeys could also fly out of my butt... who knows in this crazy world of ours.
parrotlady
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by parrotlady »

OMG Scratch! You do like to use your "inside voice" outside dont you? :lol: You and me both my friend... You are lucky this is a public forum and I am on my best behavior! :o

Thanks for the info! I didnt want to go to all the effort of patinaing and clearcoating everything if it was just going to scratch. I like it rough too, but not everyone does :shock: That being said, I do have some magnets that could suck the chrome off of a bumper, so maybe I will stay away from those.

What gauge/kind of metal do you use?

One more question... How exactly did you get your online name? Was it from the the butt scratching variety, or those pesky red marks that sometimes appear on one's back... ;)
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

It's nice to know there are still people out there with a childish sense of humor. I try to balance the "stupid humor" scale if it ever starts to fall the wrong way.

I use 14 guage for all my magnet boards.

As far as my nickname goes, since this is a public and professional forum, I won't post an actual picture of the tattoo that gave me that name, but if you are immature and childish enough to want to know, click on the link below to see a recent picture of me. I consider "art" since it's in black and white.

Dont' judge me....

You've been warned....

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak- ... 6644_n.jpg
parrotlady
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by parrotlady »

Bahwahahahahha! You cant fool me, I have already seen a picture of you! I figure if you are anything like the males in my household, your name comes from the chronic hand down the front of your pants :lol:

14g huh? I would think that would be very heavy, but I trust your judgement believe it or not ;)

Thanks again

April
Metal Troll
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by Metal Troll »

What I have actually been selling is these made from 26GA Galvanized bend up, spot weld corner, then I use a grinding wheel on them to make all the swirls and then I put several coats of high gloss rustoleum rattle can on to make them nice and wet looking. When done they almost look like a hologram. People seem to like them.

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

parrotlady
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by parrotlady »

Looks awesome!

26g - do you weld that onto something thicker?

Thanks

April
Metal Troll
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by Metal Troll »

I actually use a 4 foot box and pan brake and fold 1/2" hem with 90 degree brake and then a 1" 90 degree brake to add depth with tabs on 4 of the ends that tab in and get spot welded to hold it together. Kind of a glorified water heater pan.
isthmus
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by isthmus »

That galv finish is beautiful! Have you tried buffing images into the sheet? I used to love making magnets, you seem to have a real knack for it.
Last edited by isthmus on Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Metal Troll
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by Metal Troll »

I have thought about it but have never actually given it a try. one of these days i will see what i can do.

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutters General Forum”