Steel Pricing

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
Rockrunner86
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Steel Pricing

Post by Rockrunner86 »

I called my normal local steel provider and got a quote on some material and it seems a little high.

What are you guys/gals paying for

14 ga cold roll 4x8 sheet
11 ga cold roll 4x8 sheet
3/16 cold roll 4x8 sheet
1/4 cold roll 4x8 sheet

If you can't get cold roll what is P&O going for in your area?

Thank you

Tyler
AnotherDano
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Re: Steel Pricing

Post by AnotherDano »

I just bought two 4x10 sheets of cold rolled 14ga.
They were cut into 4x5 sheets to fit in the car (SUV).

Total price w/tax; $274.44.
Dano Roberts
droberts@ironpequod.com
PlasmaCam DHC-2 v3.11
Hypertherm PowerMax-30
Serving Laramie, Wy since Thursday
WSS
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by WSS »

A local supplier here in so cal quoted me .68 cents per pound, one cut per sheet free. I am not sure where 14ga fits as far as thickness. I think 11ga is right at 1/8 inch. if that is correct then a 4 x 8 sheet of 11ga would cost $111.00 dollars +tx

WSS

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

Last edited by WSS on Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
comeoutswingin
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by comeoutswingin »

I just switched suppliers but I bought 4, 4x8 sheets of hot roll 11ga for $72.00 a sheet.

My last supplier was $96 a sheet for 11 ga hot roll
16 ga Cold roll was like 60 somthing a sheet..
16 ga Hot rol was around $50..
5x10 LDR
sadisticiron
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by sadisticiron »

try running cold rolled instead and PNO for thicker sheets. its a little bit more but it saves consumables, i found, and cuts so much better without trying to burn past the scale. also it produces less slag then standard HR.
BrianMick
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by BrianMick »

we are a steel supplyer in St.Cloud,Minnesota and our hr sheets are anywhere from $0.50 per # to .060 depending on what we pay from our supplyers each shipment....that is our marked up price......
Brian
Scratch
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by Scratch »

Here's some prices from my supplier in Minneapolis Minnesota:

4X8 CR 14G $66.00
4X8 CR 11G $105.00
4X8 P&O 3/16" $145.00
4X8 P&O 1/4" $185.00

They don't carry CR in the larger sizes.
I think I'm the oldest 10 year old boy on the forum...
redfarm
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by redfarm »

Does anyone else buy steel from their local scrapyard? The local yard has a customer that scraps a lot of 10 ga. HR and I pick it up for about $400/ton and return the scraps to them I basicly only have to pay for what I use.Most pieces are in the 2'x5' and 3'x6' range but I have gotten 4'x10' as well, other sheet is available but it is a little more hit and miss.
baker
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by baker »

sadisticiron wrote:try running cold rolled instead and PNO for thicker sheets. its a little bit more but it saves consumables, i found, and cuts so much better without trying to burn past the scale
I don't understand this. P&O doesn't have any scale. Right?
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

Right... P&O gots no scale. I think he meant that CR and P&O cuts better, "because" it isn't trying to burn past the scale.
WSS
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by WSS »

redfarm wrote:Does anyone else buy steel from their local scrapyard? The local yard has a customer that scraps a lot of 10 ga. HR and I pick it up for about $400/ton and return the scraps to them I basicly only have to pay for what I use.Most pieces are in the 2'x5' and 3'x6' range but I have gotten 4'x10' as well, other sheet is available but it is a little more hit and miss.

That is a sweet deal. looks to be about .20 cents a pound.

Is this the same redfarm with the DT?

WSS
redfarm
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by redfarm »

Yes.
WSS
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by WSS »

redfarm wrote:Yes.
I thought it might be, I recognized the name from cnczone. How is your machine working?

WSS
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by jimcolt »

The type of steel....cold rolled, hot rolled, pickled and oiled should have no effect whatsoever on consumable life if the plasma cutting machine has a torch height control system, and the torch has shielded consumables. The differences will be that cold rolled cuts a little better in terms of dross formation (less dross, easer to remove dross), p&o cuts better than hot rolled, but not quite as good as cold rolled. Starting cut parameters will also be identical....the 25,000 degree F. plasma arc does not care about the surface finish on the plate. However the cold rolled will cut more consistently, while the hot rolled and p&o may need speed adjustments from plate to plate to minimize dross.

In most cases, the cold rolled is worth the extra cost as there is less scondary work to clean up the parts after cutting. The drawback....the cold rolled tends to rust easier when it is stored in my shop!

Jim Colt
MQUICK

Post by MQUICK »

Just pick up some sheets Yesterday.

4x10 CR 12 gage $105.00
4x10 CR 14 gage $80.00

The nice thing is this supplier will shear the sheets for no charge. They shear them down to 4x4 and 2x4.
redfarm
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by redfarm »

WSS, The machine is working great and any questions I have had have been taken care of by dynatorch staff quickly and expertly even though I bought the machine used. I am slowly teaching myself CAD as I go and for a while I couldn't keep up with demand, but the last two weeks things have tapered off I believe the holidays have a lot to do with that also I need to get into advertising the capability in the area.
Rockrunner86
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by Rockrunner86 »

Thank you for the replys, I am going to shop around here some more. I have an account with one of the local steel yards, and I have been paying quite abit more than you all posted.
minnfatz
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by minnfatz »

Hey Scratch, who are you using in Minneapolis? I have been buying sheet drops for .50/pound at Discount Steel. I don't know if that is good or bad. :?:
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

minnfatz wrote:Hey Scratch, who are you using in Minneapolis? I have been buying sheet drops for .50/pound at Discount Steel. I don't know if that is good or bad. :?:
Yeah I use Discount too. That's the only place I buy from. Those prices are from them, but they're not drop prices, I just called them and asked them for new steel prices. Yes, I pay .50 per pound for drops also.
mdwalker

Post by mdwalker »

SMOOTH PLATE #1 SOLD PER SQ FOOT

Description Price

#1 16GA SMOOTH PLATE $1.29

#1 14GA SMOOTH PLATE $1.56

#1 12GA SMOOTH PLATE $2.19

#1 10GA SMOOTH PLATE $2.81

#1 3/16" SMOOTH PLATE $3.80

#1 1/4" SMOOTH PLATE $4.99

#1 3/8" SMOOTH PLATE $7.19

#1 1/2" SMOOTH PLATE $9.91

#1 5/8" SMOOTH PLATE $11.99

#1 3/4" SMOOTH PLATE $14.70

#1 1" SMOOTH PLATE $19.60

These prices are what I pay for hot roll from a local supplier. The don't deliver but I buy from them because they are less than 20 miles away and they have about anything steel, farm, or ranch related. www.jimfg.com I also buy from large steel suppliers & have it delivered on semi's right to my shop depending on what I am getting and how much. I would encourage everybody to find out what steel suppliers service their area & check with them on material. Don't think because you are a small business that you can't buy from the big guys. I live in southern Oklahoma and buy from steel suppliers from Dallas, Oklahoma City, Tulsa, Amarillo TX (however the hell you spell it), Missouri, ect. Sometimes I buy $2000 - $3000 worth of material at a time & sometimes I only buy a couple of sheets. Obviously the larger the order the better the price but all of these companies run routes through my area & many of them have locations across the country. When you see a semi load of steel going down the highway write down the company name and phone number from the truck and give them a call or if you have large manufacturing companies close to you watch and see what companies are delivering to them. Sometimes they will simply tell you if you ask. Some of the companies I buy from are O'Neil Steel, Central Expanded Metal, Lake Steel, Metal Spand Inc, Ryerson-Tull, Steel & Pipe Supply Inc, Uni-Steel, Wheeler Metals, Champagne Metals. Sometimes if things are slow they call to see if I need anything just to help fill up a truck for a route. If I'm ordering material to be delivered I email a list to the sales department of each company and they send a quote back. Sometimes there is several hundred $$ difference in price on the same material. Most suppliers will price the steel by the hundred weight but if you ask they will give you the price per foot or price per square foot or sheet. Hope this helps.
Danny Walker
Walker Manufacturing
Tishomingo, Oklahoma USA
www.walkermfg.net
WSS
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by WSS »

That is a really good price. .48cents per pound.

WSS

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutters General Forum”