THC Help I can't seem to find answer

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
APFab
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

THC Help I can't seem to find answer

Post by APFab »

I bought (hate to say now :oops: ) a Burntable 4x4 table from a guy that had it working great I did see him cut a couple pieces and seen his work... I thought set it up I can figure it out knew nothing about cnc world but thought I could make a dollar and enjoy what I do but... I have yet to get anything to cut without it messing up somewhere... I know now from what I read maybe have a high dollar scrap metal and computer but wondering how if anyone fixed it without buying and adapting other brands into it. It starts out fairly good making good cuts then starts picking up higher and higher until it stops cutting. I am running a 45xp hypertherm plasma with it any help would be greatly appreciated!
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: THC Help I can't seem to find answer

Post by acourtjester »

Ok take some deep breaths, if it cut ok before it can cut again. It may take some time but as you said you "knew nothing about CNC", you can get help. Now I'm not saying that it is a Gem but it should be able to do some things as you learn about CNC. One thing is to make a holder that fits on the torch holder that you can attach an ink pen. This will allow you to to draw in place of cutting metal, this helps to be sure the axises are moving correctly. It seems you can take a drawing and make a G-code from that, this is a big help. start with simple things like small boxes and circles. You did not sate if it has a THC included.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tet2rRsqBts
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
APFab
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by APFab »

I never thought of using a pen, well have to try. Yes, I seem to have figured out sheetcam to g-code and it has made some great cuts but seems almost ever piece I try to cut it raises up and at first I though was 14ga was warping so I held it flat to table every time it cut still THC still comes up... that's the part I don't understand? On the control box for the THC the knobs if I adjust anymore it smashes into the table right now I'm running about 1/8" of the table if that naked eye so that makes me believe I have it set right
tcaudle
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by tcaudle »

The disadvantage of that THC (which will NOT work with Fine Cut BTW) is that you have no voltage reference either with it on, or off so you can see the most important value you need: Torch Volts (actual voltage at the torch) as it cuts Is there any way in the MACH screen to disable THC? It uses the MACH3 UP and DOWN inputs to move the Z during a cut. There should be some screen indicators for at least the UP and Down signals. Its radically different cutting thicker materiel rather than thinner on a BT. Thicker material is done a lot slower, has a lot less warping and height change, and the table does not have to have good cornering or acceleration whereas on thinner (10ga and thinner) everything gets more critical.

Good THC response and voltage feedback are essential in troubleshooting bad cuts. Is the 45XP one that came with the table?
APFab
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by APFab »

I had fine cut on and have removed them back to "factory" ones. Yes I see there is a way to turn THC off and on, but when I turn if it off it goes and turns on at like .5" off table never starting a arc; if I try to make a dry run with no plasma cutter on it goes to first point and never moves on. also I read exactly what you are saying about the voltage but on the screen I can't see values so I have no clue what its doing. the 45xp was NOT the same cutter that was original to the table, the guy I bought the machine from was using a hypertherm 65.
tcaudle

Post by tcaudle »

Well yous should be able to get some range out of the THC now if you have moved to normal 45 consumables and are using the correct ones for machine cutting. That THC does a touch off and the piercet height is another knob I think. There is no communication between the THC hardware and their MACH setup so you won't see any feedback (like volts ) on the screen. It's not the worst THC ever but its real close.
APFab
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by APFab »

Yes it does have the two knobs, so yeah i'm really not sure what to do besides keep playing with it and trying to get it. :shock: thanks

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutters General Forum”