Tool Head Conversion from OEM to Aftermarket

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
Thomas
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Tool Head Conversion from OEM to Aftermarket

Post by Thomas »

Question. I had a sales rep from American Torch Tip drop off a conversion kit for the tool head on my HPR130XD. They did away with the plasma vent tube on the ATT, and the ohmic sensor is longer than the original HPR version. I asked the rep about this and he stated that he helped design it (BS more than likely), and the new fab head doesn't require it. I asked him why, he said, "...because it doesn't." I need more of an answer than that and someone who helped "design" this should have the answer that I need. So I pose a question to this forum. Has anyone used the American Torch Tip (ATT) PHD-Plasma High Density Conversion Kit for the HPR130? If yes, what was the outcome? I've been running plasma cutters for over 10 years and I know that there are consumables that you can interchange with whatever system you're working on. But I don't have a good feeling about this and my boss is telling me to put it on. And hey, its his machine to blow up if he wants to do so but I just don't want to be out of work if this thing goes sideways. I just like to be prepared for anything that may or may not happen. Any advise is more than welcome. Thanks.
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Tool Head Conversion from OEM to Aftermarket

Post by jimcolt »

Worse thing you can do for cut quality and consumable life on an HPR130! The reason they get rid of the vent tube, which is Hypertherm patented technology for the vented high flow vortex nozzle design is to end run around the patent. By putting on this aftermarket torch you just changed your system from a high definition plasma cutter to a conventional cutter. ATT entices you with lower purchase proce on consumables, however your cost per foot of cut will increase (more cleanup after cutting, shorter consumable life).

The vented nozzle design uses a nozzle with two orifices. The first orifice squeezes the plasma arc to around 12,000 amps per square inch energy density, then the plasma gas pressure is bled off to the vent tube and the arc enters and passes through the secondary orifice in the nozzle, increasing energy density from 12,000 amps per square inch up to 16,000. You cannot achieve that energy density with a single orifice nozzle design as the ATT unit is! Likely the salesman is not a PHD engineer like the ones that design Hypertherm consumables! Jim Colt

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutters General Forum”