Bubble wrap nightmare, please help!

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
lazybear
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Bubble wrap nightmare, please help!

Post by lazybear »

Ok, so we made the rookie mistake of layering our pieces in boxes using bubble wrap to take them to and from a recent craft show. It didn't affect any of the pieces on the way TO the craft show, as they weren't in the boxes for long and the temps weren't very high. However, after 90 + degree weather all day for the show and then wrapping the pieces back up and taking them back to the shop where we unloaded the NEXT day, we discovered the imprint of the bubbles from the bubble wrap on nearly ALL the pieces we had brought home with us. (Also note we don't powder coat, we are using a 2 part polyurethane clear coat on all our pieces.) The imprints have not faded and we are now stuck with sanding and re-clearing nearly every piece we have in stock! UGH! (I should also note that this has only happened in extreme warm temps.)
Can someone please suggest anything better for packing these pieces for taking to craft shows? I'm looking at foam rolls or industrial tissue or craft paper right now. Blankets and towels are too bulky and I simply don't have enough of them. What do you all use or how do you pack the pieces you're taking to shows? We typically take about 60-100 pieces, which basically fills our van when you include the displays, so we need the ability to flat pack the items as much as possible. The 3d items get packed separately in our other vehicle, so it's not an issue for those items.

Thank you in advance for any tips or advice!

Stacey
robertspark
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Bubble wrap nightmare, please help!

Post by robertspark »

No advice on bubble imprints.

What about making a folder using sheets of cardboard, stuck together at one edge like a book, and overlaying the cardboard with greaseproof paper. With say 11 leaves of cardboard you can fill them with 10 items (which may be liftable)and place them in a packing case box so you can layer a few of these "books"

The greaseproof paper should limit / stop transfer of pattern.

You may want to check your clear coat 2 pack mixand maybe speak with the manufacturer as they may be able to recommend an adjustment in the mix for a high ambient temperature environment where you apply more hardener or something of that nature that reduces it's chances of softening in high temperatures.
DXF

Post by DXF »

I recently purchased a roll of this to use as packing material......works great and you can cut it to any size.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Blue-Hawk-100- ... t/50372956

Dave Hanks
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by acourtjester »

What about Parchment Paper that is used in cooking comes in rolls
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
urbnsr
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by urbnsr »

Here is what I use for shipping. I can't say how it would work in the extreme heat, though.

https://www.uline.com/BL_855/Uline-Foam ... Foam+Rolls

HTH
Paul
robertspark

Post by robertspark »

acourtjester wrote:What about Parchment Paper that is used in cooking comes in rolls

Think that's the same stuff we call greaseproof paper as used in cooking (brown in colour)
lazybear
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by lazybear »

Thank you for all your input folks! We've decided to test two options. The flooring underlayment and industrial tissue paper sheets (layered between bubble wrap and the pieces). We're going to try both of those and see how we do. I really appreciate all the advice!

Stacey
tcaudle
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by tcaudle »

Something is wrong. A good paint (automotive grade) does not get soft in moderate heat of 125 or less. A good quality Urethane dries really hard and will not "melt" at higher temps. I can't attest to rattle can formulas. Of curse, all of that is after the fact. Have you thought about maybe heating up the damaged pieces to over the point the finish starts to get really soft and maybe the waves will "soften" out? Hang them face down?

I used to paint with two part urethane clear and it was miserable in the summer wearing al of the protective gear, hard to get total coverage (especially edges) without runs, and dust was always a problem. The best day in my life was when I bought my first powder coat rig and discovered a low temp crystal clear paint that solved all of the above problems. It takes an investment and there is a learning curve but it is SO much better. On really big stuff I sent it out to a local shop but anything that fit in my 2 x2 X2 home made oven was done in my shop. You can apply paint or patina to your cuttings and quickly dry and powdercoat them clear before they have time to develop any rust or tarnish.
hsolve
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by hsolve »

Just my two cents worth. I have applied two part urethane clear and it has been subjected to 60+ celcius and no chance ever of it getting soft. It may be the type of clear that you used, industrial and or automotive clears are quite hard, wood type clears much less so.
lazybear
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by lazybear »

In regards to the clear, I've been assured that the problem isn't the clear we are using. The problem is the bubble wrap itself when combined with heat. Apparently it breaks down in high temps and leaves the residue that doesn't wipe off (something about the petroleum based chemicals in the plastic?). It basically adheres itself to the surface of the pieces. We are currently testing the industrial tissue paper (which is basically just thicker sheets of tissue paper) as a liner between layers of items. We'll also be testing the foam flooring base that DXF suggested above (can't beat the price on that!).
Continued thanks for all the input!
Stacey
Old Ironworker
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Old Ironworker »

I did the same thing a couple years ago. Had about 4 flags with marks on them. I was able save them, by adding one more layer of clear coat. The problem ( what I think happen ) was not letting them "cure" or harden before packing them. Anything less than week to cure, I use paper towels between each layer ( OK, laugh... but it works).
Have Good Week Cutting !!
Dale..........
MeanMichi
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by MeanMichi »

What ended up working for you? I'm having the same problem :/

Thanks!
Michelle
Michelle
Hypertherm 45xp
2015cmax
2 Star Elite Contributing Member
2 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by 2015cmax »

I used a sheet of cooking type wax paper between the artwork and the bubble wrap. It prevented what ever chemicals that were leaching out of the bubble material and transferring to the finished artwork.
MeanMichi
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by MeanMichi »

Awesome! I’ll give that a whirl!
Michelle
Hypertherm 45xp
MountainWerks
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by MountainWerks »

Hi, I've been in the packaging industry for 13 years. Furniture manufacturers us thin sheets (3/16) of Polypropylene foam called Starfoam. It's made by a company called Pregis (no affiliation) and you can buy it from your packaging redistributor of choice. Furniture companies love it because it's open cell foam and allows their finish to dry in transit without leaving marks. They want to be in the business of shipping units, not letting it sit in the warehouse and dry for days. Now, I have never heard of people shipping metal and using it to protect their finishes but giving you and option. Your mileage my vary.

Anything more than 25 lbs will make cheap bubble go flat in no time. Shipping long distance/duration you want to use bubble with a nylon barrier. it's a premium product at a higher cost but it does the job.
Granite
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Granite »

acourtjester wrote:What about Parchment Paper that is used in cooking comes in rolls
We have been using parchment for a couple of years, then a layer of cardboard for padding. Its resolved our shipping problems.

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutters General Forum”