new to cutting over water

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
phase5
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

new to cutting over water

Post by phase5 »

Hello everyone, I recently converted a downdraft table to a water, I have A 5x10 with a Icnc Promotion controller with Power Max 105 with Hyperthrem PHC. When cutting dry I did not have the following problem, after a few pierces the torch will not drop and contact plate and return to pierce height before firing, the torch stays in the reacted position ad fires at that height. I have replaced all consumables and checked all the normal things. I have the water 3/4" below the plate, I am getting a lot of water blowing up on to the shield and ohmic lead, will the water cause the phc to think the plate has been contacted and then fire it. Any suggestions welcome, thanks in advance
larrycameron44
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Re: new to cutting over water

Post by larrycameron44 »

If you have water on the plate at first pierce, the ohmic will sense the top of the water on the plate as the metal height.
You can just blow this off with a air gun as the post flow will blow all the rest of the water away when piercing.
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by jimcolt »

Sounds like water in the torch is causing a false ohmic signal. Ohmic sensing often does not work well with a water table. Table water is highly conductive with suspended metal particles....it gets between the torch shield and nozzle and the circuitry for ohmic sensing thinks it is sensing the material. The fix is to lower the water in the table....unfortunately that will create more fumes / smoke. My experience is that downdraft works better with ohmic sensing. Jim Colt Hypertherm
phase5
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by phase5 »

Thanks for the advice, I disconnected the Ohmic lead and adjust the stall pot on the phc and so far it is cutting very good.

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutters General Forum”