Plasmacam

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
NeedPlasma
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Plasmacam

Post by NeedPlasma »

A friend of mine has a CNC system that uses plasmacam software. I thought I'd help him out by looking for ideas. I may just be a pain in the ass to him, but I'll let him make that decision. I'd like to start by making a couple firepits for around my place. I'll pay him the going price, so I will actually be helping him.

I've noticed I can sign up here and download some files. I'm not sure what type of file his system uses? any idea what plsamacam uses?

Also, is this the best software to use? Can I draw diagrams in Visio or something similar and convert them?

Are there other sites I should be aware of? thanks in advance.

Allen
Doc Hollywood
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Re: Plasmacam

Post by Doc Hollywood »

Plasmacam uses .PCM files, for direct import, i know there are some P'cam users on here who've shared some designs. You would be well served to learn a program like Inkscape, which is free graphics software. Invest some hours in learning software, and it will pay you back for years!
As for how you get that into a usable file for your friends machine, i think the expensive upgraded software pkg from Pcam will import some items, and trace them.
Good Luck!
Cheers, Doc
rdj357
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by rdj357 »

Even the most basic PlasmaCAM software will import DXF files such as the ones found on this site. Many times they require some work to clean up and make into a nice cutting file.

You can draw files in any vector program such as Inkscape (free), Corel DRAW, Adobe Illustrator, BOBcad, Qcad, etc. etc. then save the file from whatever program you use as a DXF and your friend can import it, convert it to cut paths, and cut it.
NeedPlasma
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by NeedPlasma »

Hmmm, I downloaded Inkscape, and some .dxf files. Inkscape wont' open or import the files?

any ideas?

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutters General Forum”