hate, Hate, HATE Hypertherm 0-30 codes!

Discussion on 0-30 fault codes
motoguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

hate, Hate, HATE Hypertherm 0-30 codes!

Post by motoguy »

I am fighting these f'ing 0-30-0 codes non-stop. Sometimes I'll get a handful of parts between codes, sometimes 3-4 PIERCES. Been in touch with HT technical support. At this point, I've replaced the torch body, and EVERYTHING past the torch body. New (straight out of the boxes) retaining cap, o-ring, swirl ring, electrode, nozzle, shield, etc. All brand new.

Still same problem.

Air lines are 3/4" copper until they hit the plasma filters. Turns to 1/2" here. Regulator/filter combo, then particulate/water filter, then M100 Charcoal filter, then Dessicant dryer, then another particulate/water filter. Approx 7' from the end of the 3/4" line, to the inlet of the plasma. Gauge is mounted directly at the inlet of the plasma unit. Shows 5-7 PSI drop when solenoid trips for 45A cutting. Compressor is set to come on at 110, air to plasma is regulated at 130. Air at plasma never drops below 103-105psi.

HT technical has not given any significant help thus far. They had me run some tests on the solenoid, and finally suggested I replace the $100 torch body (which now seems like a wasted $100). I've opened the PM85 and removed/cleaned (computer parts cleaner) each of the individual lines, as well as the line in the torch assembly.

Same air supply is used for paint / powder coat work, which is very sensitive to moisture or oil/impurities. So, I think the air supply is fine.

Trying to cut 600 parts today, and thus far I'm getting somewhere between 10 parts and 4 PIERCES between code.

Sorry. Just needed to vent. So far I've managed to keep myself from ripping the torch off the machine and smashing it against the concrete.
Bulltear 6x12 w/ Proton Z axis & watertable
CommandCNC/Linux w/ Ohmic & HyT options
Hypertherm Powermax 85 w/ machine torch
Solidworks, Coreldraw X7, Inkscape, Sheetcam
Endless_Plasma
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Re: hate, Hate, HATE Hypertherm 0-30 codes!

Post by Endless_Plasma »

Sounds like too much air loss when everything is actually trying to flow? Maybe too many filters. See below from a Post about 0-30 codes where Jim Colt commented, particularly where I highlighted

by jimcolt » Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:10 pm

One of the most common issues I hear from the field is the 0-30 code. This is (99% of the time) almost always a direct result of a restriction in the air system plumbing before the air reaches the plasma inlet.

If a pressure gauge is installed right at the inlet (not upstream...must be right at the inlet just like thge pictures I am posting) you will always notice that the static (no air flowing at torch) indication on the pressure gauge will read essentially the same as a gauge as far away as the compressor....this is because the air pressure equalizes throughout the system when there is no air flowing.

As soon as the torch is triggered and air flows....I absolutely guarantee that you will se the pressure gauge at the plasma air inlet will drop. The one in my shop drops as much as 12 psi with air flowing at the torch with an 85 amp nozzle installed. (less with smaller nozzles).

When the plasma demands air it will show all restrictions in the air plumbing system in the form of an inlet pressure drop. As long as the inlet pressure (with air flow at the torch) remains higher than 90 psi (and lower than 135 psi)...then expect the plasma to cut wel and with no error codes related to air pressure or stuck consumables (unless the consumables are stuck!). A large pressure drop is caused by:

- air hoses or pipes with too small of a diameter (must be 3/8" ID minimum, up to 50' length, 1/2" id for longer than 50').
-Too many fittings, elbows, quick disconnects, tees, etc. Each fitting will produce a drop in pressure.
-Too many filters. Even a brand new filter will produce a drop in pressure under flow conditions. A filter that has some particulate in it will produce a larger drop. A filter that is saturated with moisture, common during the humid season....will produce a large pressure drop.
- A regulator with too small of a flow rating will produce a large pressure drop.

These are the single most common issues with air plasma cutting system
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by jimcolt »

The 0-30 error code is monitoring the movement of the electrode inside the torch. To start the torch...DC power is activated which is dead shorted from the negative electrode to the positive nozzle. A few miliseconds after the DC activates, the air solenoid sends air flow/pressure to the torch. The air pressure pushes back on the electrode (called "Blowback"), pulling it away from its connection to the nozzle....this breaks the dead short from negative to positive power and creates a spark. The spark heats the air to its ionization temperature allowing the air to become electrically conductive...forming the path for the plasma arc to follow to the material being cut.

The error codes are like a check engine light in your car. They are there to tell you something is not operating as designed. In most cases the 0-30 code indicates insufficient air flow/pressure to get the electrode to properly blow back, usually caused by pressure drop / restrictions in the inlet air lines and filtration systems. It also can indicate a worn swirl ring....which acts as a slide bearing to allow the electrode movement. Other causes can be with overtightening the retaining cap (crushes the swirl ring) or consumables (electrode especially) that are damaged or out of tolerance (usually aftermarket consumables).

Recently we have found an issue that we had not noticed in the past....and that appears to be the start signal input to the plasma bouncing rapidly causing rapid on/off inputs when it is starting the plasma torch...especially when the plasma is in its "post flow" cooling in between cuts. When in post flow (most Powermax units flow air for around 20 seconds after each cut cycle ends to cool torch and consumables) and your cnc machine needs to re-fire the torch...it sends a contact closure to the plasma, the plasma then shuts off the air pressure solenoid and opens up a vent port to rapidly bleed air from the torch, allowing the electrode to return to its dead short against the nozzle. If the start input bounces on and off rapidly it causes the air pressure /flow at the torch to rapidly cycle from post flow to cut flow conditions, and causes the error code 0-30 to indicate becaue the electrode is not moving as designed inside the torch. So, the fix is with the start input.....it should be solid on or off, no bouncing. Bouncing start signals could be the fault of a bad relay output at the cnc or electrical noise interference between the plasma and cnc.

So....like a check engine light on a vehicle....the code does not always lead to a simple solution, but does indicate something is not right!

Jim Colt Hypertherm
SegoMan DeSigns
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by SegoMan DeSigns »

Motoguy,

Does it still do the same thing when your on manual over-ride for the air pressure? Try going manual and slightly above the recommended mark on the Hypertherm gauge and see if that helps. I had a pressure sensor go bad on my 65 which was causing problems.
ScottF
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by ScottF »

I know that I get more 0-30 errors if I tighten the retaining cap too tight. To make sure I don't do this as much I try to only tighten it with my thumb and index finger and stop as soon as it gets snug.

Hope you find a fix soon!
I don't have all the answers but I do have a lot of opinions....

ShopSabre Sidekick 8 with water table
Hypertherm Powermax 85 w/machine and hand torches
IR 5hp 60 gal,+ 60 gallons of storage and aftercooler
Lincoln Square Wave 200
14x40 lathe
motoguy

Post by motoguy »

SegoMan DeSigns wrote:Motoguy,

Does it still do the same thing when your on manual over-ride for the air pressure? Try going manual and slightly above the recommended mark on the Hypertherm gauge and see if that helps. I had a pressure sensor go bad on my 65 which was causing problems.
I will try that. The solenoid seems to be fine (as well as regulator), based on the cycle tests HT has me do from the diagnostics screen.

The single most helpful thing so far seems to be lowering the pressure. I had continued increasing pressure as this problem came up, wondering if it was a flow issue. I eventually had the air circuit on the plasma regulated at 130 PSI, the max recommended for the PM85.

Another user, experiencing similar issues, recommended that I lower the air pressure to the minimum amount. I have a 5 to 7 PSI drop on my system as a torch fires, and the manual calls for a minimum of 95 PSI input. So, I lowered the regulated pressure to about 105 PSI. I figured this would allow for the drop in pressure when the torch fires, and yet still keep me above 95 PSI.

This allowed me to run the most number of Parts between errors. I was still getting the error, but not as frequently as with the higher pressure.
Bulltear 6x12 w/ Proton Z axis & watertable
CommandCNC/Linux w/ Ohmic & HyT options
Hypertherm Powermax 85 w/ machine torch
Solidworks, Coreldraw X7, Inkscape, Sheetcam
t-tracks
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by t-tracks »

did you ever solve this issue? i am also getting a lot of code 30 an then cycle the on off switch an then have the code 50, sometimes i just loosen the cap an tighten it again an code doesnt come up for a bunch of fires then sometimes it appears 3 starts after. i am debati g just buying a whole new torch head because i have had a couple crashes when i first got this unit amd feel somehow its all related.
t-tracks
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by t-tracks »

oh ya if i put in new consumables it doesnt appear for prob 100 fires,

Return to “0-30 Fault Code”