Needing advice

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
Destry
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Needing advice

Post by Destry »

Hello all, I’m new to the forum. I’ve been reading on here for the past year. A little bit about myself. I have been welding on the side from my main job for about 12 years. I have several companies I do small jobs for that works out perfect for being side jobs. I got into building custom gates and entryways about 3 years ago and I have had to have quite a few cutouts done for the gates and other projects that I have had done because it was required or to make my job easier and look more professional. The last couple months I have been thinking about buying a CNC plasma. And at first I was “all in”, thinking that I could buy one and start making money via advertising on Facebook and just having good clientele and a good name for doing the best work I can possibly do. Now I am getting cold feet. I already have everything set up I have picked the machine (which is a EZ PLASMA TROOPER with a hypertherm 85) went to the bank and got the loan now all that is left to do is sign papers and take them a check. The main thing I am worried about is I need this machine to pay for itself. If it won’t in a timely manner then I don’t need it. I guess what I am asking is for some wisdom lol I don’t really know what I am asking to be honest. I am just nervous being that this will be my biggest investment yet as far as a tool/ machine to make money with. And one reason for me getting on here is local shops that I will eventually be competing against will not give good info to a future competitor. Sorry for the long post. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Needing advice

Post by acourtjester »

You are wise to look before you leap, most of what you are asking is dependent on your location. How many shops do CNC plasma work, what is the customer base, what local regulations will you need to work under. You did not state if you already have a business for you side work, but if you start doing more work you may not be able to fly under the radar. You have put thought into it just remember there is some risk behind any rewards, if you think the rewards are greater go for it.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutters General Forum”