Hypertherm PHC / THC w/Mach 3, etc.

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
pinnmar
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Hypertherm PHC / THC w/Mach 3, etc.

Post by pinnmar »

Just wondering if anyone can tell me how to configure Mach 3 to work with the Hypertherm PHC / THC standalone system. Saw the last post was in 2016 and it didn't seem as if everything was working quite right with Mach 3 and Hypertherm setup. I also have a brand new Centroid Acorn and Masso Version 2 controller as well. Figured I would try them all and see which one worked the best. Would greatly appreciate anyone's info that has successfully done any of the above controllers with the Hypertherm. I understand the wiring, just need to configure software. Currently using with a Koike Aronson Plate Pro 1500 and Promotion controller from 2008. Just making a back up system since the Promotion controller isn't supported anymore.
tcaudle
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Hypertherm PHC / THC w/Mach 3, etc.

Post by tcaudle »

On most true stand alone THC's you need two signals back to the controller: A HOLD signal from the THC to cause the control to hold motion. A torch fire signal from the control to fire the torch. There are several ways in MACH to hold motion. Not sure about the other controls you have but I am sure they can help you sort it out. Sit down and find out the signals you have to/from the PHC. Then research the different controls and what functions you can call from an input. Some more sophisticated controllers can enable /disable the THC using one output. That would depend a lot on the control software or using something like SheetCAM that has an open POST language and you can assign Cut Rules to do things (like tunr on/off an output on small holes or on corners. Mixing and matching different controllers to different hardware using different control software (and even different OS's) is not a trivial task.
pinnmar
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by pinnmar »

Link to manual:

file:///home/chronos/u-95f27fc9fb34ecb9c3612a4592f18ba7bea84d59/Downloads/IM_806150r1%20(1).pdf

PHC to CNC Signals:
All signals to the CNC are connected through the 25-pin D subconnector on the control unit. For detailed
interfacing information, see PHC Interface Signals on page 29 and CNC Interface Signals on page 30.

Outputs to CNC:
Digital motion output

Inputs from CNC:
Digital cycle start input

As you can see I only need one output from the PHC / THC and one input to the PHC / THC configured in the software. I have no problem wiring any of these controllers. Software is my only question. I've spent countless hours looking online and in chatrooms for anyone that has connected one of these to some of the less expensive controllers (ESS Smoothstepper, Centroid Acorn or Masso). Haven't really found anything satisfactory. Spoke with Hypertherm and they don't have anything to do with anybody else's product connected to theirs. I completely understand this position and have no problems with Hypertherms support on their products. Best in the industry. Just curious if an 'off the shelf' cnc controller has been used previously. Have no problem switching to another controller. Planned on buying Sheetcam as well.
tcaudle

Post by tcaudle »

MACH HAS a motion HOLD input. its a processor physically tying to an input pin and then "Map" (assign) that pin function to HOLD) As far as outputs the Torch fire should be a simple connection to a pin that is triggered from an "M code" (mot often M3) at the controller. As far as having any Plasma type screens or other functions it would be totally up to the specific controller . MACH (and some others) let you build custom screens for user interface. MACH has a open scripting language. Not sure about the Masso and Acorn. Both of those appear to be aimed at the milling and routing type applications. While having the stand alone torch lifter and THC makes it more of a 2 axis simple motion machine, newer designs tend towards using a different more integrated approach. That may be the reason you have not found a lot of references since not a lot of people have done it. Vast majority of members are not Integrators or Engineers. .They are fabricators and operators.
pinnmar
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by pinnmar »

Thanks. Appreciate the reply. I just like to go old school. I also have a Flashcut CNC that has an integrated height control. Prefer the X and Y and the stand alone PHC / THC. Trying to get back to where I was in 2008, but with current software and hardware. Not sure if that makes any sense.
tcaudle

Post by tcaudle »

Oh you still use the old Motorola flip phone! Dial up Internet? Works for me if it works for you!

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutters General Forum”