Newbie dips his toe in the water

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
pony
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Newbie dips his toe in the water

Post by pony »

I'm in Texas, DFW area, I'm an English expat now living on this side of the pond. I just thought I'd introduce myself and share my story.

3 years ago I bought a small ranch just west of Fort Worth, and this city boy was thrown in to farm life. I learned to change my own oil and perform basic engine and hydraulic repair. I rebuilt my first carburetor at aged 38. I taught myself to weld and built H posts, corner posts, pipe fences, and tractor implements. Its been really liberating and rewarding. I never had a father figure when I was growing up and sadly never learned even the basics of mechanics and tool shop skills. I managed to spend 37 years of my life paying someone else to do even simple things like changing oil :oops:
I went a little crazy with my new found skills and bought all kinds of cool tools - MIG welder, plasma cutter, almost every hand power tool ever made :lol: , socket sets, wrenches, you name it. I recently added an argon tank to my welder, and I'm trying to learn how to use an oxy/acetylene cutting setup I bought this last weekend - a bit harder than I thought it would be. I work double shifts and 2 different jobs to help fund my new found hobby. I just love tools! Anyway, on to the CNC and plasma part of my story (hey you at the back, wake up!)...

I've been looking at getting a CNC plasma table for over 2 years. I looked at financing one but the cost always scared me off.
I happened across a new (at least it wasn't available 2 years ago) product that Torchmate are selling, the 2x2 table and its older brother the 2x4 table. Priced at $2,995 and $3,495 the table was suddenly within my reach!
Well today I thought I would test the water. I just paid for a Torchmate 2x4 table, and should get delivery in 4 weeks. I added the wood router option to open up more avenues. I already own a 50 AMP Ramsond plasma cutter and large air compressor, and a Hobart Handler 187 welder, so this helped keep my costs down. I picked up 3x3x4 rectangular and 3x3 square tubing to make my own water table.

All told I am $5,500 to Torchmate (cnc router, routing attachment, software, shipping etc) and $280 in metal to make the water table.
I'm so excited to finally be able to start creating!

I really wanted a bigger table, but its just out of reach right now. If I can make money with my little table I can justify buying a bigger model down the road. The table size will limit my options, but there are so many thing you can create that are 2x4!

Well thats me. Another bloody Brit in the USA.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Newbie dips his toe in the water

Post by admin »

Welcome to the site pony, I think you will find this site to very helpful, entertaining, and a great resource. Hope to see you around lots.
ssderick
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Re: Newbie dips his toe in the water

Post by ssderick »

Welcome
any problems just call tech support, they are great.
I just got my 6 x 10 TM1 up and running 3 months age and love it
this is a great dite with lots of good help
best of luck
by th eway, I am in south Texas (Goliad)

Derick

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutters General Forum”