tool changes in routing

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
hsolve
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

tool changes in routing

Post by hsolve »

Good day to all. Was wondering how tool changes are done whilst routing. I have several layers setup on the next job I have to do and was wondering how this is done. Just to be clear there is only one tool change required. I need to start with an Ogee bit and cut to about 3mm, then change to a end mill to complete the rest of the job. I have noticed that Mach 3 will stop the cutting / milling process after a layer is completed. Is this when it is done or is there a more specific method of achieving this. Could someone enlighten me haw to achieve this. Thanks in advance.
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: tool changes in routing

Post by acourtjester »

you can setup wiring for a probe in Mach 3 and make a touch plate I used a 1/4" aluminum with a wire attached and another attached to the router.
Your router will need to have continuity from the body to the tool, if not a clip to the tool itself will work. When these to are touched together the probe light on the diagnostic page should light. Attached is a plug in that needs to be installed in Mach. To do this click on the Operator drop down menu, and then to Edit button script. A few of the buttons on the Mach screen will flash click on "auto tool zero" this will open up a menu screen, clear out any text in the screen and copy the info from the word doc attached here except the first line. Now save it and test it by having the Z axis up off the surface a few inches. As it moves down touch the plate to the tool and it should stop and set the Z dro to its location above the surface as the position above your work. When you actually do a tool change have the X and Y at the zero zero for you G-code start.
I have indicated where in the script you can change the thickness of the plate if you don't use a 1/4" PLATE.
Script for auto tool zero.docx
router tool1.jpg

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
hsolve
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by hsolve »

Thankyou for that reply acourtjester. That is rather flash, I don't need anything like that at the moment. All that I need to do at the moment is to get Mach 3 to stop at the completion of the first layer, change out the ogee bit a 6mm end mill, zero out to the top of the material and press go again to complete. I am just needing to complete this job in the shortest possible time frame with the least amount of playing around. I am here at the workshop today completing the extension to the machine, which is now 3.5m long. When time permits I can certanly look into what you have suggested. The lack of knowledge I have also hampers what you have suggested.
So in short, will Mach 3 stop the routing once the first layer is completed for me to do a tool change, then zero out manually the end mill to the top of the material for me to press the run button again to complete. Since the machine is pulled apart at the moment I cannot try this live so that is why I am asking. Am hoping to have the machine all assembled and can try this live tomorrow.
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

There are other ways to do what you want, are you able to read and understand G-code. If so there should be a line in the code where you are changing the tool and not stopping. This may be on a line that states which tool is being used you can add an M0 command which will stop Mach at that point. Your G-code may not ID the toll like this attached image showing the tool ID. Another way is when you plan the 2 different cut operations is to have them as a separate plan and therefore a different G-code. Just run the first layer when it stops change the tool and start the second cut with the new tool.
change tool.jpg

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
tcaudle
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by tcaudle »

hsolve wrote:Good day to all. Was wondering how tool changes are done whilst routing. I have several layers setup on the next job I have to do and was wondering how this is done. Just to be clear there is only one tool change required. I need to start with an Ogee bit and cut to about 3mm, then change to a end mill to complete the rest of the job. I have noticed that Mach 3 will stop the cutting / milling process after a layer is completed. Is this when it is done or is there a more specific method of achieving this. Could someone enlighten me haw to achieve this. Thanks in advance.

Depends a lot on whatt CAM you are using for routing. In SheetCAM there is a special "toolchange" option that will run a custom set of G-Code. You can specify the toolchange position (XY and Z) and it will move there then you can turn off the spindle (probably M5) then Pause (usually M0 or M1) change the tool then jog down and do a touch off with the new tool and then hit RUN again.

If you are not using SheetCAM then you either have to figure out how to modify the POST in your CAM or hand edit the code. It really does not matter how many toolchanges it has it simply sees the toolchange and does the code....once or dozens of times.

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutters General Forum”