CandCNC rotary kit

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
whiskeymike
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

CandCNC rotary kit

Post by whiskeymike »

Anyone have the CandCNC rotary kit? How do you like it? Are there build out plans for the other pieces that are needed I.e. chuck, attachment to motor, etc..

How does it compare to starlab’s Kit?
tcaudle
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: CandCNC rotary kit

Post by tcaudle »

The Rotary Kit if you will check the details on the Website consists of a 5th motor and driver expansion kit and a software bundle. Its made for CommandCNC. Support for MACH3 is for existing users only . Just like for tables, there are no mechanical plans. StarLab probably has more rotary software purchases than any other OEM. So the "Kit" is mostly software (one plugin from SheetCAM for the actual rotary cutting) and Pipefit which is a SheetCAM plugin that is a Joint Design Tool for round pipe.
whiskeymike
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by whiskeymike »

Thanks Tom. I have an ethercut system with Mach 3. Doesn’t my ethercut system already have a 4th axis and I would just need the motor and software? Or do I need the driver expansion?

I’m considering the commandcnc upgrade, but haven’t gotten the money together yet.
djreiswig
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by djreiswig »

Your ethercut is probably set up to run 3 axes. X, Y & Z. The 4th axis is usually used as a slaved motor on either X or Y. The rotary kit has a 5th motor and driver. You can configure it to use the X or Y driver if you are not doing square tube. You just park that axis over the center of the tube and power off and switch the motor to the rotary. Then reconfigure your steps in Mach for the tube. If you're planning on cutting square tube you will need all 4 axes running, so you will need the extra motor and driver.
2014 Bulltear (StarLab) 4x8
C&CNC EtherCut
Mach3, SheetCam, Draftsight
Hypertherm PM65
Oxy/Acetylene Flame Torch
Pneumatic Plate Marker, Ohmic, 10 inch Rotary Chuck (in progress)
BTA Plasma
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by BTA Plasma »

The Rotacut is not available for retrofit any longer. It is for new machine orders with CommandCNC and it uses a great program called Pipefit. No axis substitutions required on new systems or any system that uses pipefit for sheetcam with the correct post.

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutters General Forum”