Hypertherm Shielded Versus Exposed Tip.

Hypertherm Plasma Cutter discussion forum.
Mr. Fixit
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Hypertherm Shielded Versus Exposed Tip.

Post by Mr. Fixit »

Is there a rule of thumb as to when to use shielded versus an exposed tip on a mechanized torch? I have been using my table for about 8 months on and off and have only used the exposed tip for all cutting. Is there any advantage to the sheilded set up? Would I need to change the cut heights for all of the tool profiles from the exposed tip settings.

Thank you,

Steve
4' x 4' DIY Table
CandCNC Bladerunner
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Miller Vintage 250 Mig
Miller Syncro 180 Tig
Bridgeport 2J Mill - Fagor Dro
Southbend 14" x 40" EVS Lathe - Fagor Dro
Brook 18" Metal Shaper
Harig 612 Surface Grinder
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Shielded Versus Exposed Tip.

Post by jimcolt »

If you are referring to a shielded Hypertherm system , then always use the shielded consumables. The Hypertherm shields use a technology (patented, only on Hypertherm) called conical flow that uses the shield cooling air to inject into the plasma arc just as it exits the nozzle orifice...this increases arc energy density resulting in squarer, cleaner, faster cuts and longer nozzle life. With Hypertherm systems...simply follow the cut charts in the operators panel for all settings such as cut height, pierce height, pierce delay time, amperage, cut speed for best cut quality.

Jim Colt Hypertherm
plasmartist
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by plasmartist »

I have wondered the same thing. Jim, you say always use the shielded, but why then does hypertherm make non-shielded consumables and have cut charts for the non shielded. Surely there has to be some benefit to ditching the shield or hypertherm would discontinue nonshielded cons?
jimcolt

Post by jimcolt »

There are applications for mechanized cutting that involve beveling or getting into tight spots on 3dimensional parts...often robotic applications. The non shielded consumable stack is often advantageous in these cases....with better clearance and visibility. There also are some that simply have been using non shielded cutting processes since before shielded consumables were invented (by Hypertherm in 1987)....users that do not like to change there way of cutting. The shielded are far superior in many ways, but not 100% or the ways! Jim Colt Hypertherm

plasmartist wrote:I have wondered the same thing. Jim, you say always use the shielded, but why then does hypertherm make non-shielded consumables and have cut charts for the non shielded. Surely there has to be some benefit to ditching the shield or hypertherm would discontinue nonshielded cons?

Return to “Hypertherm Plasma Cutters”