HELP!!! New shop plasma table

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
Circle S Industries
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

HELP!!! New shop plasma table

Post by Circle S Industries »

Hi, I am looking for recommendations for a new shop plasma table. I currently run an old style LDR motion systems table with a hypertherm 45 and it's just not keeping up with what I need.

I am a welding and fabrication shop with half my business being in the 4x4 sector and the other in structural. I need a table to be able to run large nested batches and pretty much a production setup.

What I am looking for in a new table:
$35,000 and under.
4' X 8' Cutting area
able to run an 80amp or bigger plasma
Water table
Able to hold a full 4x8 3/4" sheet
Able to hold/ run a plate scribe
thc, mag breakaway
Come with the necessary software to run the table. I already have CAD for drawings.

I have been looking really hard at the torchmate 4800 series table and the JD2 MAD 4x8 table. Just looking for opinions on these two tables or other brands similar with the features I need that you have good experience with and would recommend.
Also looking at either a Hypertherm powermax 85 or the Lincoln flex cut 80

Sorry for the book above and thanks for the help.
ScottF
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Re: HELP!!! New shop plasma table

Post by ScottF »

I don't have either machine but during my research I was told to steer clear from the Torchmate series. I heard that there where many hardware, software and plasma issues. I have not heard if these have been corrected or not but you might want to talk to someone who has the machine.

There are lots of options out there right now and it can be hard to narrow it down and decide. I don't know if it would help you out at all but can you upgrade your current table to a higher amperage machine? That would get you some faster cut speeds on the thinner materials while allowing you thicker capability as well.
I don't have all the answers but I do have a lot of opinions....

ShopSabre Sidekick 8 with water table
Hypertherm Powermax 85 w/machine and hand torches
IR 5hp 60 gal,+ 60 gallons of storage and aftercooler
Lincoln Square Wave 200
14x40 lathe
motoguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by motoguy »

Your description sounds like my 6x12 Starlab table. I highly recommend them: http://www.plasmaland.com/

At a $35k budget, you should be able to have your pick of manufacturers. I fee the welded steel frame of the Bulltear, and the all linear-rail motion makes it mechanically one of the best offerings on the market.
Bulltear 6x12 w/ Proton Z axis & watertable
CommandCNC/Linux w/ Ohmic & HyT options
Hypertherm Powermax 85 w/ machine torch
Solidworks, Coreldraw X7, Inkscape, Sheetcam
Circle S Industries
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Circle S Industries »

ScottF Thanks for the feedback, I have managed to get a handful of customers numbers who own each table I'm looking at and am in the process of calling them to get some actual feedback.

motoguy Thanks, I will go and check those ones out you mentioned and see what I think.
plasmartist
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by plasmartist »

One of my neighbors has a 2x4 torchmate that he loves, but even he said that the larger torchmate tables steppers are too small for the job. As for your plasma cutter, I would highly recommend a hypertherm 85, it can be wired for both single and 3 phase power, and consumables last considerably longer than other brands. If you are a fab shop, you may consider building the table yourself, and getting your electronics package through candcnc.com I'm no rocket scientist, and I built my complete cnc from scratch in about a week.
Motojoel1
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Motojoel1 »

I'll throw Trucut into the ring.

I have been exceptionally pleased with response on the occasions that I have needed help. To me the support after the sale is on of the most important considerations in purchasing.

Machine works quite well.
SegoMan DeSigns
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by SegoMan DeSigns »

Use the existing one to build parts for your new table then put a Hyperthem 85 or 105 on it (or 125 if your wired 480 3ph)
tnbndr
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by tnbndr »

Not sure why your LDR table can't be upgraded with a larger plasma machine. I have an LDR from 2013 that meets all your criteria and Dan is great to work with for support if necessary. If I were you I would be talking to him and I bet you would have money left over.
Dennis
LDR 4x8, Scribe, DTHCIV
Hypertherm PM45, Macair Dryer
DeVilbiss Air America 6.5HP, 80Gal., 175psi, Two Stage
16.9scfm@100psi, 16.0scfm@175psi
Miller 215 MultiMatic
RW 390E Slip Roll (Powered)
AutoCAD, SheetCAM, Mach 3
http://ikescreations.com

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutters General Forum”