STEEL PRICES

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
MemFor
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

STEEL PRICES

Post by MemFor »

Just a heads up to fellow Plasma Spider Members. Since the announcement of tariff's on foreign steel, Domestic steel prices on sheet/plate have raised 25-30%. This price increase can be attributed to "Mill Greed" and "Panic Buying". My main thought for posting this, is that if you have an inventory in your shop, please realize that it will cost you more when you go to replace it.You might think about raising your steel prices now, to compensate for the time you re-order.
little blue choo
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Re: STEEL PRICES

Post by little blue choo »

Checked with my supplier today. Price the same as I paid last week. Will keep a eye on it.

Rick
Rick
Arclight 9600 4x8 table
Hypertherm PM65
Acc. Plate Marker, 4 inch Pipe Cutter, Wood Router package
Quincy Q54 compressor 2 stage, 5hp, 60 gal
Refrigerated air dryer & 4 stage filtration system
Software Mach 3, Sheetcam, Solid Edge 2D, Inkscape
chevybythesea
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by chevybythesea »

I'm a steel supplier, and I'm not seeing my steel prices from the mills increase over this tariff. Little to no change for domestic steel. Galvanized and aluminum are up, but not domestic steel.
5x10 ArcLight Dynamics Plasma table
http://www.thesteelyardinc.net
little blue choo
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

chevybythesea wrote:I'm a steel supplier, and I'm not seeing my steel prices from the mills increase over this tariff. Little to no change for domestic steel. Galvanized and aluminum are up, but not domestic steel.
Thanks Chevy
Rick
Arclight 9600 4x8 table
Hypertherm PM65
little blue choo
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

little blue choo wrote:
chevybythesea wrote:I'm a steel supplier, and I'm not seeing my steel prices from the mills increase over this tariff. Little to no change for domestic steel. Galvanized and aluminum are up, but not domestic steel.
Thanks Chevy
I guess some distributors are looking for a reason to gouge us.

Rick
Rick
Arclight 9600 4x8 table
Hypertherm PM65
Militant83
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by Militant83 »

I have nothing to compare prices to as I haven't bought that much steel yet. But when pricing steel for my table build the supplier would only guarantee the price for 24 hours due to the tariffs they said.
Old Iron
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Old Iron »

Checked mine today and for a 48"x 96" sheet of 10ga. P&O it was $50 per sheet higher than the ones I bought 30 days ago.
I bought 100 sheets prior to this price hike. What the hell??????????????????????
rbmgf7
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by rbmgf7 »

I made a purchase a day after the news erupted and I paid about 35% more for steel. I just called today and my supplier fed me news that aluminum is jumping now.

The tariffs haven't even been imposed so it's panic buying which is probably leading to price gouging.
ETCWeld
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by ETCWeld »

I always get 3 quotes on my materials. I found if the vendors think they are the only ones, they tend to not give you the best prices down here. If I buy from the same vendor more than 3 times in a row I see the price change significantly. Two weeks ago I sent out for quotes, but i sent them out individually so two of the vendors assumed they were the only one I was asking. example just two (of 6) items from my last quot:
1" x 4" x 20’ a36 high- $252.18ea low- $129.12
20ga. x 4' x 10' high- $179ea low- $37.20

Long story short, I asked them to re-quote everything. The company with the lowest prices didn’t change significantly at all (this time) when they knew they were competing against the other but... One of the companies I deal with a lot changed all 6items. One went from a high of - $252.18ea down to- $129.51 for the 1” material and from $120ea down to- $71.55 on the 20ga. (still 2x higher). Moral of the story, when profit can be cut in so much, shopping isn’t enough. Let them know your shopping them. If you have to, and hopefully it doesn’t turn into this put them against each other a time or two like we would car salesman before the internet evened out the field. I made the mistake a couple times to just deal with one over and over, but every time I did they would ratchet up each time. I called one of them out and my sales person told me she can't give me the best price every time or her manager will come down on her.

If I bought 15 pieces of the 20ga sheeting at $179 I would have paid more than $2k for the difference. I have worked with ppl that have been in the business for years and they are convinced I’m full of it, until they take that guy they've been doing business with for 10 years and shop them. Try it and let me know what happens.
little blue choo
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

I do the same. I called one supplier a while back and ask for a quote on 6 sheets of 14 ga. 4x10 CR and when he gave the price per sheet I said WOW I'll have to pass, you're the highest yet. He quickly ask what prices have you gotten and where? I just said I don't pit people against each other I just call and ask for your best price and go with the one that wants my business the most. He quickly said let me see what I can do and after a few seconds came back with a price $9 per sheet lower. Some times I do this without even getting other bids. LOL Been working for years.

Rick
Rick
Arclight 9600 4x8 table
Hypertherm PM65
michmetalman
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by michmetalman »

Mine went up $6 a 4x8 sheet 14 gauge even before the tariff crap.
abmetal
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by abmetal »

14g cold roll just went up 25% here.

Allen
i_r_machinist
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by i_r_machinist »

My supplier went from $60 to $105 for 12ga. 4x8 CR. He isn't my supplier any more.
i_r_
abmetal

Post by abmetal »

Got a load of steel from our other steel supplier yesterday and they went up 10 percent.

Allen
rbmgf7
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by rbmgf7 »

I'm now up 52% $/lb. than I was a month ago.
ETCWeld
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by ETCWeld »

52%? WOW
we have about $6k in steel orders the book keeper hasn't completely processed yet, all my quotes say they were only good for two days. we've already had to have them re-quoted once. I can't wait to see how much prioritizing someone else cost us.
lapeerhotrod
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by lapeerhotrod »

What is everyone paying for a sheet of 14 gauge 4' x 8'??
plasmartist
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by plasmartist »

In Lubbock TX all of our steel is domestic, and in the last month my prices have gone up well over 50%. I used to pay $84.50 per sheet of 10 ga, now its about $130. I just hope this tariff thing doesn't go through. Seems more like an attack on domestic fabricators and manufacturers than anything. One thing my supplier told me is that if the tariff does go through there is potential for being placed on back order.
abmetal

Post by abmetal »

I think the tariff is just a bargaining tool. Import/export has been lopsided way too long.

Allen
michmetalman
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by michmetalman »

My steel prices went up from around $55 a sheet of 4x8 14 gauge to around $70 and they are going up another $5-$10 next week.
plasmartist
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by plasmartist »

I know I'm preaching to the choir on this one, but its already hard enough to manufacture products for less than the crap from china. With this artificial inflation of steel prices, it is just making it that much harder to make our products in the USA. Even if they ad a tariff of 25% to the imported goods from china, I see that as 25% of a not terribly expensive product, yet our steel prices have increased from 25-60% depending on suppliers. In my opinion this isn't going to solve anything. I am all for more steel mills in the US, but I am not fond of the foreign tariff idea because it allows domestic manufactures to price gouge. The real problem is that there is too much government regulation in the US, be it environmental, safety, unions etc. Lets just hope and pray that this settles out soon.
DXF
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by DXF »

The idea of a 25 cent raise in the federal gas tax has been proposed by the President that will only make things worse. The Governor here has already raised the gas tax by 6 cents. While gas prices are low now the price of oil is very volatile and could double again as it did in 2008. Let's hope that does not happen.
Bradley
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by Bradley »

I purchase steel from our local supplier, DMP are the initials buy mixed up. I purchased a 5x10 x .750 AR400. the qoute about two weeks before the purchase was about 1650, when I recieved the bill it was 2236 for the same sheet, I found a different vendor and they were charging 1500 for the same piece, One of my customers called about the same piece and there price was 1862, We but aboout 1500-2500 of steel a week. We only have one supplier and anything else has to come out of sacremento. The company we deal with does deliver and have great service,
Does anyone that uses ar plate having a shortage? we have had 8 to 12 week lead times for .250 and 3/8 sheet?
Probird
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by Probird »

WTF, 2 weeks ago 10 gauge HR, i paid 99.00.....now 143.00
1/8 hr 2 weeks ago was 88.00, now 128.00
4x8 Premier Plasma Table
Hypertherm 45xp
Inkscape
Viacad
Sheetcam
Mach3
Proma 150 THC
DXF

Post by DXF »

Just talked to a friend of mine who owns a masonry business and a 20' stick of rebar has went up $2.00 which he said is a bunch. Another friend that owns a weld shop just called and said an I-beam he has got a price on about a month ago had risen $200. I am glad this is just a hobby for me. He said the price hikes have went up ridiculously since the proposal by Trump to impose 25% tariffs on steel. He'll raise prices accordingly.

Dave Hanks

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutters General Forum”