Vinyl Cutter

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
JJsCustomDesigns
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Vinyl Cutter

Post by JJsCustomDesigns »

Just a few quick questions.

Is anyone using files from here on their Vinyl Cutters?
How are the results?

I had my own 4x4 cnc plasma for years. I sold all my equipment and shop for family reasons. Im slowly getting back into making things. Mostly vinyl graphics right now. I know a few of ya here ;)

Im tossing around the idea of renewing my membership. I know there are ALOT of great files here and alot more talented people.

Thanks
James
tcaudle
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Vinyl Cutter

Post by tcaudle »

Depends on what you use to drive your Vinyl Cutter. Usually you have to have an application that has a driver (treats a vinyl cutter like a plotter / printer.) So if your vinyl software will import a DXF then you should be able to set it up to cut. If it cannot import that format try using Inkscape to import the DXF and then convert it to a vector file format your Vinyal Software will take. You can also look at a plugin for CorelDraw that will drive a Vinyl cutter. Plasma cut files should work pretty good on a vinyl cutter. You just don't need "connectors " to keep things from falling out loke you do in plasma. There are TONS of vinyl cutting clip art (som eof its good, some not so much so) but the file formats are not DXF . they are typically AI, EPS or WMF. DXF is a CAD format and the sign industry does not typically use CAD for design or layout.
SegoMan DeSigns
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by SegoMan DeSigns »

James,

I have a Roland 24" wide and use Coreldraw 16 (I think the latest release is 19). Roland has a driver for both CorelDraw and Adobe Illustrator, the vinyl cutter was the stepping stone to the plaz world as I learned how to manipulate vectors. CD 16 will open most types of files then store it in it's native format "CDR" you can export it as a dxf also that can be imported into Torchmates cad program.

A couple of things to note on CD or AI is they export DXF files as splines, torch-mate converts it to poly arcs so no problem there.

Doug Green has a tutorial channel on Y/T with a lot of good information.

Stay away from the tractor feed type vinyl cutters or you will be trowing out a lot of usable vinyl. (I consider leftovers freebies for personal projects)

Let me know if you have any other questions.
Granite
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Granite »

I often make signage combining wood and steel. We routinely exchange vector files between V-Carve Pro, Illustrator, and other sign software. The dxf files can be fed to our plotter or plasma system without modification.

The donkey and Angus pieces below are examples. The silhouette portion was sent to the plasma and the white highlights to the plotter for vinyl stencils. The sign lettering is also painted using vinyl stencils.

BanksAg
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by BanksAg »

As long as you know and understand how to manipulate files, you should be good to go. We have a 24" Roland as well, and the thing I like about it is that it runs off a print driver. We can print (cut) from most any program on our computer with just a few minor setting adjustments in the print menu. Rhino 3D is our primary CAD program, and that is what we use most of the time, however we can cut from Inkscape, Adobe, or most anything else that we have.

As for working with files from here, as I said above as long as you know how to manipulate files within whatever program you're using you'll be fine. The biggest thing I find when I download and import dxf files from here into Rhino is that a lot come in 'exploded,' so I have to join the line segments before I can cut.

One word of caution: I have used a couple of vinyl cutters where you have to cut straight from their program, rather than 'printing' from whatever program you're using. I found those to be cumbersome and limiting, and had more issues with exporting files from CAD and importing into their software.

Just my two cents.

Tim
Tim Eggleston
Banks High School
Banks, OR

Arc Pro 4800
PowerMax 45XP
Mach 3, SheetCam
Inkscape, Rhino 3D
JJsCustomDesigns
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by JJsCustomDesigns »

I use Vinyl Master software on my 24" USCutter. Been a good machine so far. The trace feature, IMO, is one best of ive used. I still have CorelDraw X4 Graphics Suite as a back up.

I havent tried to use any DXF's on my cutter.
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

SegoMan DeSigns wrote:James,

I have a Roland 24" wide and use Coreldraw 16 (I think the latest release is 19). Roland has a driver for both CorelDraw and Adobe Illustrator, the vinyl cutter was the stepping stone to the plaz world as I learned how to manipulate vectors. CD 16 will open most types of files then store it in it's native format "CDR" you can export it as a dxf also that can be imported into Torchmates cad program.

A couple of things to note on CD or AI is they export DXF files as splines, torch-mate converts it to poly arcs so no problem there.

Doug Green has a tutorial channel on Y/T with a lot of good information.

Stay away from the tractor feed type vinyl cutters or you will be trowing out a lot of usable vinyl. (I consider leftovers freebies for personal projects)

Let me know if you have any other questions.
What do you mean tractor feed type cutters? I'm wanting to get a vinyl cutter too, and am looking for options that will work with Corel.
I think I'm the oldest 10 year old boy on the forum...
SegoMan DeSigns

Post by SegoMan DeSigns »

Scratch,

They require a perforated vinyl for the tractor feed like the old printers used perforated paper. The Roland GX-40 I have uses a pinch roller system to accommodate less than full width sheets.

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutters General Forum”