CNC plasma parts tumbler finish

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
DynMetalworks
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

CNC plasma parts tumbler finish

Post by DynMetalworks »

Those of you who use a tumbler to clean you cnc plasma cut parts, can you post a picture of the finish after their tumbled? I assume CR and HR come out looking the same?
AdrianH
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Re: CNC plasma parts tumbler finish

Post by AdrianH »

Ohh interested in this, I use a tumbler, well a small home made vibratory tub for some parts, and leave them in for a few hours, it rounds off the edges to stop them being sharp, but I will still knock off the dross before hand. The surface finish seems to be very good for powder coating to me, parts which have now been outside in all weathers has not started to peel yet.

I do use a mixture sometimes of acid bath soak and vib tub if I have hard to get to shapes such as tubes etc.
I have not got any pictures showing before and after, but I will have a look into old posts. If I have a picture not sure it would be of benefit as the plasma cutting side is shall I say very cost conscious at this end.

I would like to add a question to yours if I may and that is what type of media do people use, I a sort of the triangular ceramic media.

Adrian

Edit
Taken some out of an old video, but not really enough edge detail, or detail in general to help that much sorry for that.
pic1.jpg
pic2.jpg
Hope someone else come forward with better soon.

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

DynMetalworks
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by DynMetalworks »

Thanks for the reply that helps. I have parts cut from 14g and 16g that need to be de-drossed but can't rough up the surface much. That last picture the surface looks pretty good.
OTHill
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by OTHill »

Used a tumbler for a while. No media. Drum was an atv tire but it turned parts black with rubber dust. I dont use it anymore. Just soak parts in acid rinse with cold water and instantly wire brush with stiff cup wheel till dry. Very happy with results. Tumbler did get dross off without media though.
5x10 table,Precision plasma gantry,Cand CNC electronics,Hypertherm 65 plasma,King lathe and mill,255 lincoln mig welder.Dawson Creek BC. Much modified Fastcut 4x8 plasma table with Ethercut
AdrianH
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by AdrianH »

A Lot of mine is 1.5mm or 2mm steel hot rolled. I have started recently to use a wire cup brush to remove dross, then will either acid bath to remove the small-scale which it can do in a short time, then a small tumbler session say an hour to remove the edges, or if I give a couple of hours in the tumbler will remove mill-scale and also de-burr.
A lot seems to be down to the media and wash if i can get it to work again. But the surface is a dull finish when done and seems to provide a good key for powder or paint.

The media can get pricey, hence the interest in what others use as stone/flint/pea-gravel would be cheaper, but I am unsure as to effectiveness.

Adrian
OTHill

Post by OTHill »

Ok I remember now I used punchings from an iron worker as media.
5x10 table,Precision plasma gantry,Cand CNC electronics,Hypertherm 65 plasma,King lathe and mill,255 lincoln mig welder.Dawson Creek BC. Much modified Fastcut 4x8 plasma table with Ethercut

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutters General Forum”