Fusion 360 DXF export scale?

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
whiskeymike
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Fusion 360 DXF export scale?

Post by whiskeymike »

Has anyone been successful using Fusion 360 to draw, export to dxf and load into sheet cam with the proper scale? It seems that Fusion 360 is putting out DXF's without the right scale information so when I export, load it into sheetcam, it's 10-15 times the size it was drawn. A 12" part came out 280 inches in size. I'm not sure what the scale factor is, and I don't know if it's always consistent. When I loaded into sheetcam, I measured it and came up with the rough numbers, but not sure if it's dependable. Once I scaled it down,

I opened a message on the fusion 360 forum, and folks dismiss it that Sheetcam, Illustrator, edrawings (made by solidworks), Bobcad, and other apps are American focused with inches and don't properly read a dxf file. According to others, Bobcad blames autodesk.

Thread is here if anyone is interested - https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/fusion-3 ... se#M147619

Why am I trying to use Fusion 360? Because I use it for other things like 3D printing, CNC machining, and the sheet metal bending features are fantastic for plasma cutting and then bending/fabbing.

FWIW, I'm using Inches for measurement in Fusion.
islander261
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Re: Fusion 360 DXF export scale?

Post by islander261 »

Mike

Contact Les at Sheetcam or in the SW section here for the best answer.

Usually when I import from AutoCad (drawn in inches) to Sheetcam I need to scale by 25.4 to get my image in inches. When I draw in Inkscape in inches I scale 1:1 and my image is in inches. DXF is not a fixed format, it depends on which version your export uses. Always go for an older format for the best compatibility. I find release 12 or about year 2004(R14) works the best.

John
Larry83301
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by Larry83301 »

Sounds like your export as DXF is set to use MM instead of inches. Not sure where that setting is but I notice many of the DXF files that are posted here are the same way. When I find one that seems very large I just scale it down by a factor of .03937 and they usually come out close to what they should be. Try this and see if it helps you. :D :D

Larry
whiskeymike
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by whiskeymike »

Thanks guys. It’s bizarre, because when I use inventor it comes out perfectly.
Koenbro
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by Koenbro »

I realize this thread is two years old; I found it because I googled for the same. So in case anyone else has this question, here is the solution: import your dfx file and set the SheetCAM import option to "Metric". Your design will size correctly.
Last edited by Koenbro on Sun Nov 01, 2020 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by adbuch »

Thanks for the tip!
David
Koenbro
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by Koenbro »

Clarification:
After several projects, I want to add a more general conclusion: the import into SheetCAM should match the default project units in Fusion 360. The project I referenced in the post above was in mm and my workflow is mixed (metric and imperial) so I need to pay attention to matching the units. If you only work in one system, just stay consistent.
Avid CNC RouterParts Pro 4'x2' with Hypertherm 45XP
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Koenbro wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:31 pm Clarification:
After several projects, I want to add a more general conclusion: the import into SheetCAM should match the default project units in Fusion 360. The project I referenced in the post above was in mm and my workflow is mixed (metric and imperial) so I need to pay attention to matching the units. If you only work in one system, just stay consistent.
That's good to know.
Thanks,
David

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutters General Forum”