smokey cutting options?

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
destroyer000
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

smokey cutting options?

Post by destroyer000 »

ive got a 4x4 table we cut a variety of alum, stainless, and steel with, its set up with a welding fume extractor in a down draft form. it works ok :lol: but were not allowed to vent the smoke outside, my table at home has a water bed and i dont have nearly the amount of smoke. if i were to build one for work, what would my options be as far as being able to cut different materials safely? i havent done so yet because of another guy that operates it and doesnt care to pay attention to what he is cutting, so what do you guys think or what are my options?
whiskeymike
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Re: smokey cutting options?

Post by whiskeymike »

Destroyer, I’m Not sure what you are asking. When you say safely. You mean not inhaling the smoke? Or cutting different materials without the cuts going bad? I’ll assume the first.

First, you could build out a water table like you have at home.

If you don’t want a water table, then building a better downdraft is the next place I would look. A true welding fume extractor is intended to be up and personal with the welding work. Typically, if the extractor is more than 6-12” from the source, it doesn’t work. I would start by searching the forum here for Jim Colts references to the table with downdraft and filters that he would take to expos and used to show off hypertherms cutters. Being used in doors at an expo, shows that it can be built with good success. The filters sounded expensive, although I think if you get creative with charcoal filters, you can come up with something quite a bit less expensive.
yroc fab
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by yroc fab »

What do you mean by this "different materials safely"? If its the cutting aluminum above water and the hydrogen gas danger it creates your worried about dont be, well dont be as long as its vented. Its pretty hard to set up a water table where the gases could build up and be a danger. I Cut full 5x10 sheets on my water table with no repercussions.
destroyer000
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by destroyer000 »

yroc fab wrote:What do you mean by this "different materials safely"? If its the cutting aluminum above water and the hydrogen gas danger it creates your worried about dont be, well dont be as long as its vented. Its pretty hard to set up a water table where the gases could build up and be a danger. I Cut full 5x10 sheets on my water table with no repercussions.
yes this is what i was asking as far as hydrogen gas build up goes. some days we cut a lot of alum and othe days steel. i didnt want to have a build up of gas and make a boom.
Erick584
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Erick584 »

We run a combo of aluminum stainless steel and mild steel all day 5 days a week on our 7x24’ AKS table at work. You’ll be fine

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutters General Forum”