$6ooo max budget

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
Greg_R
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

$6ooo max budget

Post by Greg_R »

Hello,
I need a 4' x 4' plasma (or 5'x5'), including the torch for max 1/4" material. I will mostly do 10-14 gauge I think. I will only have $6000 max to get something, and I can't mess this up. I don't think I'm up to building a kit...at all. I need a good controller/software, and would like this to cut all day. What should I do?

Thank you!
Scratch
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: $6ooo max budget

Post by Scratch »

Might as well ask for a pet unicorn that pisses chocolate shakes, and a clean hooker to go with it.
I think your budget is pretty low unless your going used. The torch itself is going to be 2-3 thousand, so your hoping to find a table in the 3-4 thousand range...?

Not sure it's possible, but I could be wrong...
I think I'm the oldest 10 year old boy on the forum...
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by acourtjester »

Where are you located????
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
gamble
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by gamble »

Probably better to outsource some work to some of us until you build a bigger budget
Torchmate 2x2 - Flashcut
Powermax 45 - Machine torch
Taig CNC Mill - Flashcut
Razorweld Distributor
little blue choo
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by little blue choo »

Triple your budget and Save your money!

Rick
Rick
Arclight 9600 4x8 table
Hypertherm PM65
Acc. Plate Marker, 4 inch Pipe Cutter, Wood Router package
Quincy Q54 compressor 2 stage, 5hp, 60 gal
Refrigerated air dryer & 4 stage filtration system
Software Mach 3, Sheetcam, Solid Edge 2D, Inkscape
Gamelord
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Post by Gamelord »

There are probably lots of people who would be willing to sell their Burntables to you for that price. Lighting your cash on fire would probably be more enjoyable though.
Once you take flight, your eyes will forever be turned to the sky." "Lack of appreciation is the worlds biggest crime."

Torchmate 6x14 w/THC Downdraft
Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 101
Corel Draw / Adobe Illustrator
Torchmate CAD
Greg_R
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by Greg_R »

Scratch wrote:Might as well ask for a pet unicorn that pisses chocolate shakes, and a clean hooker to go with it.
I think your budget is pretty low unless your going used. The torch itself is going to be 2-3 thousand, so your hoping to find a table in the 3-4 thousand range...?

Not sure it's possible, but I could be wrong...
LOL I had to try! :)
beefy
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Post by beefy »

Greg,

you're basically saying you need a good quality machine that can cut all day long.

Would I be correct in saying you are very confident you have plenty work/income/profit already in the pipeline, so long as you have a table. If so couldn't you take out a 5 year loan. Providing your profit after paying the table each week is OK this may be a better way to go.

You could even keep your $6K to help with any unforseen operating costs while you get going.

Don't overlook anything. Miscellaneous tooling, air compressor (big enough and reasonable quality), air drier, metal finishing gear (painting, de-rusting, patinas, etc, etc).
2500 x 1500 water table
Powermax 1250 & Duramax torch (because of the new $$$$ync system, will buy Thermal Dynamics next)
LinuxCNC
Sheetcam
Alibre Design 3D solid modelling
Coreldraw 2019
Bobkovacs
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Bobkovacs »

Delusional Designs- 4x4 table is $5k with a water table and THC- add $2k for a cutter, and you're about as close as you're going to get to your budget. He also has a stripped down version with no water table or THC, which will get you within your budget
motoguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by motoguy »

Bobkovacs wrote:Delusional Designs- 4x4 table is $5k with a water table and THC- add $2k for a cutter, and you're about as close as you're going to get to your budget. He also has a stripped down version with no water table or THC, which will get you within your budget
Delusional Designs was my thought as well. I'm not sure of his offerings, but DD is the lowest-cost manufacturer I can think of that seems to get good reviews from the buyers.
Bulltear 6x12 w/ Proton Z axis & watertable
CommandCNC/Linux w/ Ohmic & HyT options
Hypertherm Powermax 85 w/ machine torch
Solidworks, Coreldraw X7, Inkscape, Sheetcam
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
Bobkovacs
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Bobkovacs »

acourtjester wrote:check out this post on DD
http://www.plasmaspider.com/viewtopic.p ... al+Designs
Almost a year old, and an isolated issue- no different than the guys currently complaining about not being able to get their LDR tables delivered.

George went through some growing pains last year and is beyond all of that. He was in Florida this weekend delivering machines, and made a stop at my shop in Georgia at 10pm last night on the way back to Indiana. He stopped by to install an updated post processor and re-flash my controller with upgrades, and stayed for over an hour helping me tweak my settings to dial in my cuts for the new post (all things that he didn't have to do, but did so just to take care of his customer). I'm not sure there are many manufacturers out there who would do that.
Greg_R
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by Greg_R »

Bobkovacs wrote:Delusional Designs- 4x4 table is $5k with a water table and THC- add $2k for a cutter, and you're about as close as you're going to get to your budget. He also has a stripped down version with no water table or THC, which will get you within your budget
Thanks. I saw the website, and there is no info at all. What about controller and software?

I know there is a chinese supplier that has the total package, including the quality for a good price. I originally started this journey planning on a laser cutter for 1/4" wood. The top laser guru at sawmillcreek forums has used many companies, and highly recommends sinjoe. They have the best controllers, servo motors standard, ect. They are roughly half price to a USA reseller of chinese brands, which are roughly half of the cost of the top american made brands. (Trotec ect)

I got to seeing what a plasma cutter can do, and I fell in love with the idea of going metal. I will be able to pull off a 51" x 36" laser cutter, but I just can't find a way (without diy) to get a 4x4 table with a 45XP torch. I'm not rolling the dice on china, and need a strong referral.
Greg_R
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by Greg_R »

Just wanted to say, if I had the money, I would gladly spend more for LDS.

Edit: I can weld btw. It's been a while, but I took welding in high school for a year.
Bobkovacs
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Bobkovacs »

DD tables use whatever design software you want to use, SheetCam for creating G-code, and Repetier Host for controlling the machine. Repetier is an Arduino-based software that's used by many 3d printers, and is about as simple and stable as it gets, unlike Mach3 which seems to have issues running on any computer less than 10 year old, it seems.

Not sure I'd go with a Chinese machine- you get zero support and no warranty (at least a usable warranty). Check online about all the people who buy Chinese lasers- they're constantly having to calibrate them, replace broken parts, and do all kinds of hacks to make them work. I want a machine that I can load a file up to and be cutting immediately- not something I have to google Youtube videos for to figure out what's wrong with it every week.
Greg_R
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by Greg_R »

Bobkovacs wrote:DD tables use whatever design software you want to use, SheetCam for creating G-code, and Repetier Host for controlling the machine. Repetier is an Arduino-based software that's used by many 3d printers, and is about as simple and stable as it gets, unlike Mach3 which seems to have issues running on any computer less than 10 year old, it seems.

Not sure I'd go with a Chinese machine- you get zero support and no warranty (at least a usable warranty). Check online about all the people who buy Chinese lasers- they're constantly having to calibrate them, replace broken parts, and do all kinds of hacks to make them work. I want a machine that I can load a file up to and be cutting immediately- not something I have to google Youtube videos for to figure out what's wrong with it every week.
Thanks for the explanation on the software for DD. As far as stereotyping EVERY chinese brand, that is silly. There is at least one bargain quality brand. It seems the plasma world is all american, and I can respect that.
dkerr
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by dkerr »

Hopefully I don't get laughed off the board....I was looking for a "fun" hobby - been looking at tables for a while. I saw Plasmacam and their 10-12K tables and got pretty discouraged. I sold my mid-life crisis car and had 7K to spend. I found Premier Plasma and I have had a perfect experience - so far. I am a month in - on something I thought I would use occasionally, I find myself self in the garage every night now! Its a 4x4 table that measures 5x5 with a water table. There customer service is better than I have had with other things I bought. They text and email at 11Pm with my to answer questions. They gave me a couple hundred bucks off just for asking. shipping was little slow, the instructions were lacking, but I figured it out. You have to supply your own monitor and torch, I went with a Hypertherm xp30, I wish I had gone with the 45, but it works. I have no other table to compare it to, but it cuts perfectly as far as I can see. LInes are straight, curves are perfect. Water table didnt leak and the table doesn't wobble. It came with Mach 3, Viacad and a trial of Sheetcam. With everything, I think I'm still in under 6K and I am very happy so far.Made in Arizona I believe?
Worth taking a look at, unless other more experienced guys can tell you otherwise?
http://www.premierplasma.com
Greg_R
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by Greg_R »

Thanks. Here is the correct website: https://premierplasmacnc.com/
tcaudle

Post by tcaudle »

$3995 complete 4 X 4 with Z, floating touch holder. home switches and a USA made controller with a preloaded LINUX PC and CommandCNC , all software and a 2 year warranty . Phone support from real humans. USA made DTHCIV is one of the fastest and most widely used torch height controller and its part of the package. Its a table kit but its bolt together. Table company has been in business for 8 years

4 X 4 table kit http://www.chacich.com/

Matching Controls/DTHC/Software/Hypertherm Connection Kit https://www.candcnc.com/store-home/blad ... -4-bundle/
Greg_R
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by Greg_R »

Yes I did see that kit, and was scared of the diy part, and also not sure about the learning and quality of the controller ect. I just spoke with Ron and he broke it down for me. Arclight used to use all the same software combo, and still has youtube training videos, just not linked from their website anymore. Also Ron sells his kit to a guy who assembles them, and sales them on craigslist: https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/ank/ ... 66791.html

The difference is, that you have to purchase the software licenses for an additional $300, pay for shipping ($400 or so?)...and THC is not included. THC can be bought as an add on for $300, and is controlled through a box, instead of through the computer. Also the difference is you get a water table included through craigslist. Did I mention they are assembled? :)

I think this is what we will do. Thank you tcaudle for breaking that down.
motoguy

Post by motoguy »

tcaudle is the owner of CandCNC, which are the controls in question. He should be able to help you out with any CandCNC or CommandCNC issues. lol ;)
Greg_R
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by Greg_R »

tcaudle wrote:$3995 complete 4 X 4 with Z, floating touch holder. home switches and a USA made controller with a preloaded LINUX PC and CommandCNC , all software and a 2 year warranty . Phone support from real humans. USA made DTHCIV is one of the fastest and most widely used torch height controller and its part of the package. Its a table kit but its bolt together. Table company has been in business for 8 years

4 X 4 table kit http://www.chacich.com/

Matching Controls/DTHC/Software/Hypertherm Connection Kit https://www.candcnc.com/store-home/blad ... -4-bundle/
I'm trying to read up on the proma THC. Is there a difference between the proma and your THC, other than yours is built in? In other words...does the Proma give a disadvantage? Thanks!
Greg_R
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by Greg_R »

tcaudle
Also I'm interested in your upgraded EtherCut 620 kit. Would the motors fit the precision plasma 5.0 table? I would have to buy the optional RS485 serial port, but the upgraded controller features sound nice.
https://www.weldersupply.com/P/1673/Hyp ... alInterfac
motoguy

Post by motoguy »

CandCNC has it's own forum for support and questions as well.

https://www.candcnc.com/supportforum/index.php
tcaudle

Post by tcaudle »

The Promo is about as basic as a THC can get except it at least has a voltage readout. The Promo 150 HAS to have MACH3 and is in no way integrated into the controller or the toolpath. The Bladerunner 300-4 is a COMPLETE controller with everything including our automated high speed DTHC . motors cables and software. It's the same electronics and THC you will find on $20K tables....just smaller motors. The $3995 price is a "Special" done in conjunction with PPLLC and has a hefty discount coupon for the iplasm5 ONLY. That special table is not a heavy duty version and it cannot be upgraded to the 620 motors. You CAN move that controller to a larger table and upgrade to the 620 motors. Over-sizing the motors gets you nothing on a table with a light gantry made for plasma cutting. Even on the HD series that PPLLC has. they are engineered to use the 620 oz-in . What does that mean? It based on the fact that with a given gantry weight you need a specific torque to get the acceleration you must have to do sharp turns and small objects (detail) That number is in the 25 IPS/sec range MINIMUM and 35 to 40 is better, More than that puts you into an area that will shake your gantry violently on some cuts.

This control is not a box of parts you have to try and make all work together. Its a modern high performance controller with a pre configured PC. It uses quality components including the motor drivers (Gecko) . No mystery controller , no Chinese drivers. cards or electronics.

We just got in am Iplasma5 table here and I am having my tech support guys build it using the manual(s) and documenting it on video. The controller hookup and testing should not take more than a few hours even for a newby.

Honestly most buyers opt for the larger table and gantry kits and the 620 based packages. Ron put this together exactly for a guy with a small budget needing a 4 X 4 hobby table but with a good set of controls and software that has good support, a proven track record and stuff that works.

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutters General Forum”