$6ooo max budget

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
Greg_R
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Re: $6ooo max budget

Post by Greg_R »

Thank you for that comparison. I was thinking bigger is better, but that makes sense about shaking on that frame. Yes believe me I want a 4x8, but I just can't do the math.
Thanks for doing a build video! Also, do arclights training videos apply to your setup? If not, where can I find the best training?

Thanks again!
Greg_R
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by Greg_R »

btw when I first saw that 5.0 frame, I was thinking it could easily get some cross braces welded on, and make it solid. Also I might go ahead and weld the legs and any other bolted parts...if I don't find a way to pay for the magnum HD :)
tcaudle
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by tcaudle »

Any training or demo videos about CommandCNC are in reference to the current shipping products but may be older versions. CommandCNC continues to be enhanced and worked on versus some other software that has had no updates in years.

Inkscape is well....inkscape and is used the same way on just any system. The biggest thing is to discover what NOT to learn in Inkscape. It's a complex program at first glance but there are just a few tools and processes you really need to learn. It does have a good Auto Trace tool (to turn bitmaps to lines (vector) but you quickly find that ALL auto trace tools suffer from huge inaccuracies when the subject photo/bitmap is low resolution, low contrast or simply too complex. One thing that sometimes alludes some users is that you can directly import an Inkscape SVG format file (Inkscape uses that format as a native format) directly into SheetCAM and it preserves the arc and circles intact. It can't fix a bad (segmented) DXF import into Inkscape but for other true vector formats (AI, EPS, CDR ) it is a nice clean way to do things. SheetCAM LINUX is the same as SheetCAM Windows and the two can be used on separate machines to do the drawings. a JOB file in either one opens on the other. Same thing with Inkscape. You have a choice of were and how you process the files to cut with a lot of flexibility. By having both on your control PC you can easily make any changes on the fly and not have to go back and forth on various PC's. I like to sit in the comfort of my office and do the drawings and the SheetCAM files and then send them to the cutting table. If they need to be tweeked at the table we can do that and send a copy of the file back for archive.
Greg_R
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by Greg_R »

beefy wrote:Don't overlook anything. Miscellaneous tooling, air compressor (big enough and reasonable quality), air drier, metal finishing gear (painting, de-rusting, patinas, etc, etc).
Thanks for that reality check. I was thinking I was fine with my little pan compressor, until I realized what I need. :(
Greg_R
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by Greg_R »

tcaudle wrote:Any training or demo videos about CommandCNC are in reference to the current shipping products but may be older versions. CommandCNC continues to be enhanced and worked on versus some other software that has had no updates in years.

Inkscape is well....inkscape and is used the same way on just any system. The biggest thing is to discover what NOT to learn in Inkscape. It's a complex program at first glance but there are just a few tools and processes you really need to learn. It does have a good Auto Trace tool (to turn bitmaps to lines (vector) but you quickly find that ALL auto trace tools suffer from huge inaccuracies when the subject photo/bitmap is low resolution, low contrast or simply too complex. One thing that sometimes alludes some users is that you can directly import an Inkscape SVG format file (Inkscape uses that format as a native format) directly into SheetCAM and it preserves the arc and circles intact. It can't fix a bad (segmented) DXF import into Inkscape but for other true vector formats (AI, EPS, CDR ) it is a nice clean way to do things. SheetCAM LINUX is the same as SheetCAM Windows and the two can be used on separate machines to do the drawings. a JOB file in either one opens on the other. Same thing with Inkscape. You have a choice of were and how you process the files to cut with a lot of flexibility. By having both on your control PC you can easily make any changes on the fly and not have to go back and forth on various PC's. I like to sit in the comfort of my office and do the drawings and the SheetCAM files and then send them to the cutting table. If they need to be tweeked at the table we can do that and send a copy of the file back for archive.
Thanks for explaining!
tnjind
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by tnjind »

If I were looking for an entry level machine on that budget I would listen to tcaudle, he is probably the most knowledgeable guy in the business.
And while I have not ever personally dealt with him or his company MANY people have and I have not ever read of any issues with products or service.

When the time comes to upgrade from the POS I currently have I will build my own and use his controls.
Greg_R
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by Greg_R »

In another thread, a guy used these for rails for the long sides and also the z axis across the gantry:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/SBR20-2750mm-2 ... 1438.l2649
https://www.ebay.com/itm/SBR20-1540mm-2 ... 1438.l2649

It would be super nice to be able to use those rails for the side only, since the 600-4 CandCNC kit with Z axis uses the aluminum V roller system.
This means diy gantry and table. Going that route would take longer not only in time to build, but to pay for it all. I took welding in high school, but never fabricated motor mounts like I need.

The other option is go simple with the 5.0 kit for a starter, and worry about linear rails and 4x8 tables next time. Much to think about!

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutters General Forum”