Downdraft

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
Jspece
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Downdraft

Post by Jspece »

Still researching tables. Thinking a downdraft system is the way to go for fume/dust control. Few questions regarding this type system. Major concern for me is potentially blowing a spark outside into dead grass/leaves and having a fire. Is this a real concern or just me over thinking things? Also my shop is only 16x20 how much of my heat will I loose in the winter? I'm in Iowa
icmplasma85
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Re: Downdraft

Post by icmplasma85 »

Downdraft is definitely the way to go. I just took a 5 gallon bucket, filled with water and placed it directly under my 10" exhaust duct outside. My fan is 12" so from the back of the fan I ran 12" duct thru wall outside about a foot, 90 degrees down and capped with a 12" to 10" reducer that goes past the top edge of the bucket and down into it a few inches to make sure everything goes into the water. I recommend using a hard duct exhaust but the flex duct is great for the fan to table connection.
PlasmaCam DHC2
Hypertherm Powermax 65
Millermatic 211 MIG Welder
K D Metalwerks
3 Star Elite Contributing Member
3 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Downdraft

Post by K D Metalwerks »

I built a downdraft system for my PlasmaCam table. I have a 20", 6000 cfm exhaust fan on the side of upstairs sop wall. 18" duct tube connects that to a large box on attic floor above table. I connected 3 12" tubes from that box down thru floor and onto side panel of plasma table. I worked with the fan manufacturer to determine correct tubing size relating to cfm output of their fan. Works great! Due to the length of all the tubing, I do not have much concern of sparks blowing out of fan. Almost 30 feet from table to fan. have a switch close by so that I only use it when cutting as it does draw heat away.

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

K D Metal Werks
PlasmaCam DHC2
Hypertherm Power Max 45
Hobart Handler 190 Mig
Niagara 3"x 36" Slip Roll 14ga
Driess/ Krumph 4' box & pan brake 16ga
Hossfeld #2 Bender Ridgid 700 threader
Pexto 137-1 16ga. Stomp Shear
MADE IN USA

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutters General Forum”