For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
DJC
2 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by DJC »

Hello-
My name is Dan and I teach Automotive Technology at the high school level in Montana. In addition to mechanics we do a fair of fabrication in our shop so I just recently bought a Plasma Cam 4x4 table. I have zero experience with this machine so I will be learning along with the kids. I have the machine up and running and we have successfully designed and cut a number of simple brackets so far.
Am really looking forward to learning and getting the kids involved in cutting / designing some cool stuff! Thanks-
Old Iron
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Re: New member

Post by Old Iron »

Hi Dan, welcome to the site
Gamelord
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Post by Gamelord »

You hit the jackpot here. thousands of designs that you can wow your students with.

Plenty of plasmacam users here as well. Let us know if you have any questions.
Once you take flight, your eyes will forever be turned to the sky." "Lack of appreciation is the worlds biggest crime."

Torchmate 6x14 w/THC Downdraft
Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 101
Corel Draw / Adobe Illustrator
Torchmate CAD
dkerr
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by dkerr »

I am a auto tech teacher as well - in Maryland. I also am brand new but thought it would compliment our program. Looking forward to seeing what you use yours for!
Don

Center of Applied Technology North
DJC

Post by DJC »

So far we have made some air tool, vice grip and grinder holders. Drew some TH350 mounts and cut some of them. Hope to do some SBC engine mounts, disc brake caliper mounts, Vega steering box mounts, etc. We do some hot rod frame fabrication so building mounts and brackets and such I was I am shooting for right now. Also have had the kids drawing and cutting pieces for a project in the welding shop.
EdG
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by EdG »

I've been a member for a year and just renewed my membership. I've tried to download a number of files, they download but i'm unable to open them. Any advice?
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by acourtjester »

First what software are you using to open the files and which files are you trying to open (DXF, SVG, ZIP, or others ) there are some files that can only be opened with the manufacturers own software. Now DXF or SVG are normally easy to open but even some of those that were created with some CAD software will not open easily. If you show which post had the files in them some one here will assist you on how to open them.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
EdG
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by EdG »

I have tried open them in inscape and sheet cam. I'm in need of a lot of teaching in how to do the computer side of stuff
little blue choo
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by little blue choo »

Hi DJC, welcome to the forum. I've been a ASE certified Master Tec for over 40 years and do not envie you or your job. I am also on the board that certifies high school mechanics programs in our area. If the program doesn't meet the state requirements it's dropped. We have lost a lot of programs in the last few years. Our county use to have 10 high school programs but is down to 4 now. Not looking good for the future.

Rick
Rick
Arclight 9600 4x8 table
Hypertherm PM65
Acc. Plate Marker, 4 inch Pipe Cutter, Wood Router package
Quincy Q54 compressor 2 stage, 5hp, 60 gal
Refrigerated air dryer & 4 stage filtration system
Software Mach 3, Sheetcam, Solid Edge 2D, Inkscape

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutters General Forum”