Any Advice for Rolling 1/4" Plate?

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
johnp
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Any Advice for Rolling 1/4" Plate?

Post by johnp »

Hey gang, I need to take strips of 3" x 72" x 1/4" mild steel and roll them into arch shapes for a project. I considered trying to make a jig to sandwich and press them, but assuming the steel will spring back. So I don't think that will work.

Then I was looking at actual plate rollers, like these:
https://www.baileigh.com/metalworking/s ... late-rolls

But these monsters are expensive, and huge. Sure they'll roll a 6' sheet of 1/4"! But I only need like 6". So does anyone know of a SMALL plate roller that would do 1/4"? Or have an idea where I could get plans to build one myself that wouldn't be too difficult?

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

John P.
--------------------------------------------
Texas Metal Works
My Toys:
tnbndr
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Any Advice for Rolling 1/4" Plate?

Post by tnbndr »

You can buy/use a smaller plate roller that is not rated for 1/4" at full length and still roll a 3" strip. I do it on my roller that is only rated for 16 gauge full length 36". You should be able to find a manual roller for pretty reasonable on ebay
Dennis
LDR 4x8, Scribe, DTHCIV
Hypertherm PM45, Macair Dryer
DeVilbiss Air America 6.5HP, 80Gal., 175psi, Two Stage
16.9scfm@100psi, 16.0scfm@175psi
Miller 215 MultiMatic
RW 390E Slip Roll (Powered)
AutoCAD, SheetCAM, Mach 3
http://ikescreations.com
johnp
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by johnp »

tnbndr wrote:You can buy/use a smaller plate roller that is not rated for 1/4" at full length and still roll a 3" strip.
I was wondering if that would work! That's great to know. Thanks for sharing your experience!

Cheers,

John P.
Texas Metal Works
My Toys:
_Ogre
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by _Ogre »

a 6 foot piece of 3''x1/4'' will pretty much bend itself leaning against the wall
a simple press jig can make short bends or long bends if you move the material
bulltear 4x8 cnc plasma table, candcnc bladerunner w/dthc, hypertherm powermax 65, sheetcam, mach3
laser cross hair for hypertherm torch http://www.plasmaspider.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=12508
an ogre smiley :mrgreen: how cool!
johnp
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by johnp »

_Ogre wrote:a 6 foot piece of 3''x1/4'' will pretty much bend itself leaning against the wall
I'm going to give this a try. I actually contacted the folks at Baileigh and asked them if they thought I could use one of their slip rolls for this, and the sales rep told me it wouldn't work with theirs at least. I'm assuming a sales guy wouldn't say no unless it was really no. ;-)

So I'll just give it a try by bending it manually. Might be able to cut the arch part and then just use C-clamps to hold it down and weld it as I go.
Texas Metal Works
My Toys:
Billy wesson
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by Billy wesson »

Look at YouTube extreme metal roller I built it and it works great with a few mods like a 3 in top roller good luck
Gamelord
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Post by Gamelord »

Depending on how tight you need the bend and the span, welding, bend, clamp, weld, repeat.... should work fine.
Once you take flight, your eyes will forever be turned to the sky." "Lack of appreciation is the worlds biggest crime."

Torchmate 6x14 w/THC Downdraft
Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 101
Corel Draw / Adobe Illustrator
Torchmate CAD
ovrrdrive
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by ovrrdrive »

johnp wrote:
_Ogre wrote:a 6 foot piece of 3''x1/4'' will pretty much bend itself leaning against the wall
I'm going to give this a try. I actually contacted the folks at Baileigh and asked them if they thought I could use one of their slip rolls for this, and the sales rep told me it wouldn't work with theirs at least. I'm assuming a sales guy wouldn't say no unless it was really no. ;-)

So I'll just give it a try by bending it manually. Might be able to cut the arch part and then just use C-clamps to hold it down and weld it as I go.
A salesperson will never advertise a product outside of the specs the engineers that built it say its rated for whether it will do it or not...

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutters General Forum”