IHS not working as it should _Edit: b.o.b needed

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
RAD
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

IHS not working as it should _Edit: b.o.b needed

Post by RAD »

Anyone ever had an issue where during Initail Height Sensing with float head the Z axis goes down to find the surface of the material clicks the limit switch but does not retract back up, it just continues diving into the material (causing the torch to pop out of its clamp) ???

First thought was the limit switch was shorting due to plasma dust or loose wire etc. but I can see it light up on the diagnostic window when doing Initial Height Sensing so the limit switch is actually working.

I thought it was a Mach3 problem but this also recently started to happen with UCCNC, I am now guessing it might be an issue with the MP1000 thc post I'm ussing from Sheetcam.

I also noticed but have not verified is that when I zero all aixs before starting a job and if the Z axis is more than 1/4" off the top of the material the issue is most likely to happen.

Any ideas??
Last edited by RAD on Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
D.I.Y 4x4 CNC Plasma Table with water tray
60 Gal. A/C + D.I.Y Aftercooler + Water/Oil seperator + Desicant air dryer
45XP (CPC with hand torch)
MiniTHC
UCCNC + Sheetcam + Inkscape / AutoCAD
tcaudle
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: IHS not working as it should

Post by tcaudle »

With the MP1000-THC post the touch off is a Home move . A home is supposed to stop and retract the switchOffset distance then the G-code resets the Z DRO to zero and then it lifts from there to pierce height. Go to Single step mode in MACH and run one line of code at a time and see where it fails. If it never does, suspect that the swtich may be noisy or "chattering" and multiple inputs on a switch can cause it to not do the function.
RAD
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Re: IHS not working as it should

Post by RAD »

Ok the problem seems to be my breakout board. Pin 12 for the floating head switch is not working even after replacing the limit switch or shorting the pins directly on the breakout board.

Can you guys recommend a good b.o.b? Thanks
D.I.Y 4x4 CNC Plasma Table with water tray
60 Gal. A/C + D.I.Y Aftercooler + Water/Oil seperator + Desicant air dryer
45XP (CPC with hand torch)
MiniTHC
UCCNC + Sheetcam + Inkscape / AutoCAD

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutters General Forum”