Hello everyone

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
qrb912
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Hello everyone

Post by qrb912 »

I want to start using a CNC plasma for hobby purposes. I do not have a machine yet. Can anyone recommend a machine to start with? I see most of them are at least 4' by 8'. That is a lot more machine than I think I will ever use. Is there a small 24" x 24" machine out there? I will be doing this in my garage and will need a machine that I can move from time to time.

Thank you

Josh
Pat4rd
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Re: Hello everyone

Post by Pat4rd »

Hey josh, welcome to the forum! I don't have near the experience these other people have but I will tell you that I have an eagle plasma table and for me it's been great! Al and his team are always just a phone call away if you need anything. I bought mine in the spring and it has already paid for itself and more just by using it as hobby. I will say if you cut a lot of light gauge material you may want to go with a more high end table. I cut 3/16 99% of the time and it cuts beautifully. It can be a headache at times but you will learn so much about cnc. I will be upgrading my table in a year or two (maybe sooner) I will be purchasing a rack and pinion vs the belt driven I have now. I hope this helps. Someone might chime in that has more experience
Millermatic 252
Hypertherm 45xp machine torch
Eagle 4x4
Mach3, sheetcam, adobe il, inkscape
Proma 150 floating head, Quincy 5hp 60gal, 3 stage dryer.
Old Iron
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Old Iron »

As Pat said
The best hobby table would be an EaglePlasma 24x24
I purchased a 4x4 five years ago and have had great results. I use this table almost every day.
I turn the Powermax 600 amps down and run the ipm at no more that 140 for the best cuts on thin parts.
I get real good results on thicker parts too.
I put swivel casters on the legs of mine and can move it anywhere in the shop with little effort.
djreiswig
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by djreiswig »

4x8 is a nice size since that is the size most sheet metal comes in. I wouldn't go smaller than 4' wide. If you got a 4x4 you could still get full sheets and cut them in half.
2014 Bulltear (StarLab) 4x8
C&CNC EtherCut
Mach3, SheetCam, Draftsight
Hypertherm PM65
Oxy/Acetylene Flame Torch
Pneumatic Plate Marker, Ohmic, 10 inch Rotary Chuck (in progress)
tcaudle
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by tcaudle »

4 X 4 Kit with current software and all quality hardware/computer/software and high speed Digital Torch Height Control (DTHCIV) Combo kit for $3995 plus shipping. No "mystery" controller. CandCNC Controller is USA made using CommandCNC(tm) software. With 2 years of Warranty and phone support. Ready to run. Direct connect kit for Hypertherm 45 - 125 (10 bucks). Connection kits for other brands and models as an option. Special discount coupon saves you $ 280 bucks on the controls and software package.

http://www.chacich.com/
Old Iron
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Old Iron »

I checked it out and that is a nice setup!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Pat4rd
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by Pat4rd »

Old Iron wrote:As Pat said
The best hobby table would be an EaglePlasma 24x24
I purchased a 4x4 five years ago and have had great results. I use this table almost every day.
I turn the Powermax 600 amps down and run the ipm at no more that 140 for the best cuts on thin parts.
I get real good results on thicker parts too.
I put swivel casters on the legs of mine and can move it anywhere in the shop with little effort.

Old iron glad to hear you say "no more than 140ipm for best cuts" I've been looking on Facebook at eagles page seeing some beautifully cut thin gauge material.. I've spent countless hours wondering why mine wasn't cutting good at over 140ipm I've just got to find the right ratio with ipm/Amps.. I've always got a lot of low speed dross on my parts. I have come to conclusion that the gantry starts flexing at higher speeds. But still a great table for the money.
Millermatic 252
Hypertherm 45xp machine torch
Eagle 4x4
Mach3, sheetcam, adobe il, inkscape
Proma 150 floating head, Quincy 5hp 60gal, 3 stage dryer.

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutters General Forum”