steps in cuts

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
hbg
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

steps in cuts

Post by hbg »

Any idea why I'm getting steps in my cuts? Doesn't do it on every pierce. First I thought the plate was moving but then noticed the torch head was the one moving like if it was in the design. Also if it was the plate moving it would not completely close the cut as its doing. Since I didn't get a picture of what's its doing, I drew it up. This is just a example, the design doesn't have the steps in them should be a circle & a rectangle. It mostly does it on circles & random lettering. Something in the setting? Using autocad, sheetcam & mach3.

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

Old Iron
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Re: steps in cuts

Post by Old Iron »

You might post the dxf file so one of us can see if we can spot the problem.
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: steps in cuts

Post by acourtjester »

I would say one of your axis is slipping (X or Y) a loose setscrew in a pulley or gear. It could be on the motor or if you have a second section in the drive that is for gear reduction. with the power on the motors should be locked and will not turn, Check to see if you can move any part of the drive train by hand. If loose they will move slightly in one direction or the other.
Most of the time you would see a notch in two places as the drive changes direction, like in a circle they would be 180 degrees apart.
Mount an ink pen to the torch and draw on paper to save wasting metal to help to find the problem.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutters General Forum”