Hypertherm - PlasmaCam Compatability

PlasmaCam Hardware discussion forum
Jspece
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Hypertherm - PlasmaCam Compatability

Post by Jspece »

Looking to upgrade cutters from a cheapo cutter to a Hypertherm 45xp. Browsing online I see there is a CPC chord available for using the 45xp with a CNC table. I'm not exactly sure what a CPC chord is? I would like my new cutter to be compatible with a PlasmaCam table. From what I know about PlasmaCam your hand torch clamps on to the gantry. So I'm wondering if this CPC chord is something I need to invest in for use with the PlasmaCam table or not?

Thanks for educating a greenhorn! :D
djreiswig
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Hypertherm - PlasmaCam Compatability

Post by djreiswig »

The CPC stands for Circular Plastic Connector. It is used to access the divided voltage as well as connections for firing the machine torch. I'm not sure what you would need to connect to a PlasmaCam table.
2014 Bulltear (StarLab) 4x8
C&CNC EtherCut
Mach3, SheetCam, Draftsight
Hypertherm PM65
Oxy/Acetylene Flame Torch
Pneumatic Plate Marker, Ohmic, 10 inch Rotary Chuck (in progress)
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by jimcolt »

Plasmacam recommends that you use a hand torch with Hypertherm systems and use the interface cord that is supplied with the Plasmacam machine. Mount the hand torch on Plasmacam's hand torch bracket, remove the cover from the 45XP power supply and make the connections internally (4 wires, requires cutting and resplicing 2 connections). So....if you plan to use the hand torch on a Plasmacam you must use their supplied cable and follow the directions that come with the Plasmacam for connections.

Hypertherm (and I) recommend using a machine torch for machine cutting. I have owned plasmacam tables for almost 17 years, and always have used a machine torch. To use a Powermax45 XP with a machine torch on a Plasmacam: 1. Be sure you order the 45 XP with the machine torch, if you do, the power supply will be equipped with the CPC interface port. 2. Order a machine torch mount, 3 Order a plug and play interface cable....one end plugs into the CPC port (no splicing needed) the other end plugs into the Plasmacam control box. These cables are available from pjmetalfab.com . Either way works, the machine torch version costs more but will easily pay for itself over time with easier consumable changeout and inspection, better torch to plate perpendicularity, less chance of torch damage in the event of a collision with the plate being cut. Here is a pic of a Powermax machine torch on a Plasmacam : Jim Colt
Jspece
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by Jspece »

Thanks for the insight! Makes more sense now.

Was hoping you would chime in Jim. I've been watching your videos on Youtube. Very informative for the uninformed like myself!!
Ssleeper
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by Ssleeper »

Jim,
I have run my Hypertherm Powermax 600 with a Plasmacam for 15 years and just now changed over to the 45 xp. I ordered it with the hand torch and the Plasmacam CPC cable specifically for use with my Plasmacam. Do I also need to change the 4 switches on the inside of the 45xp?
John Marcella
Serenity Metalworks
Plasmacam since 2005
Hypertherm 45xp for machine
Powermax 600 free hand cutting.
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by adbuch »

You will need to change the factory switch setting from 50:1 to 21.1:1, which is the voltage divider setting specifically recommended for PlasmaCAM systems.
David
Hyperthem 5-position voltage divider.jpg

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

rdj357
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by rdj357 »

Also, the hand torch will not work with the trigger circuit of the CPC. You will have to either change the wiring inside the machine or switch to a machine torch.
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Here is some information on configuring the CPC port connector for use with a hand torch, but it may be easier and safer to switch to a machine torch.
David

https://forum.langmuirsystems.com/t/hyp ... wiring/982

Return to “PlasmaCam, Samson, & Go Torch Forum”