New guy need some advice

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
wokesy
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

New guy need some advice

Post by wokesy »

Pretty new to all of this and hope someone can help. DIY table, finally got things to the point where I thought I could attempt a cut with the plasma (Esab PCM 500i) . At the first arc, all motion stopped. Mach ( licenced )seems to be working, the DRO's change with the jog control. I can see the limit switches activate on the diagnostics page. So the PC is connected, E stop works. But there is no output from the BOB ( CNC4PC C10). Can't get the motors to turn and can't get the relay to activate the plasma. I think the BOB is fried , how does one check that? Thanks for any advise.
sphurley
3 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: New guy need some advice

Post by sphurley »

Did you have any isolation between the C10 and the ESAB? How did you trigger the torch? How is the Plasma return cable connected? (slats or straight to steel you are cutting) Is the table grounded to a gnd rod?
Steve
Platform CNC Plasma table
CandCNC Ethercut IV DTHC
Hypertherm 85/CPC/RS485
Miller 350P
Miller Dynasty 280DX
wokesy
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by wokesy »

Hi Steve , there is a relay that controls the plasma off one of the outputs on the BOB.I don't have the part number in front of me now but it's good for 10 amps at 120v. Plasma return was clipped to the workpiece. No separate ground on the table just grounded through the 110 v supply to the power supply. Do you think the BOB IS toast? Thanks for the reply
Richard
sphurley

Post by sphurley »

Pages from pcm-500i_f-15-296-e.pdf
You can look at the outputs that are driving the stepper drivers and see if when you jog you get pulses out the ports to the drivers.
The operators manual shows you should be grounding the material/table. I think this is a high frequency start machine and if so and you didn't ground the table then yes I think you fried the board.

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

Steve
Platform CNC Plasma table
CandCNC Ethercut IV DTHC
Hypertherm 85/CPC/RS485
Miller 350P
Miller Dynasty 280DX
wokesy
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by wokesy »

Thanks Steve , that's what I thought also. I'll get another one to try. So a separate ground to the table,should there be a ground to the chassis of the esab also? I'll let you know how it goes.
Richard

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutters General Forum”