Flash rust help!

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
MosquitoCreekDesign
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Flash rust help!

Post by MosquitoCreekDesign »

Hey guys,
Ok I Know there's a section for finishings but I'm figuring more people will see it here and may have other ideas.
Anyway I'm soaking metal art 14ga cold rolled in muratic acid solution to help with dross removal. After I pull it out of the acid bath I rinse with water but before I can get it dry with air compressor or a propane weed burner it flash rusts pretty bad. Any ideas? Much appreciate any ideas or help! Thanks again guys!
Torchmate 2 4x8
Powermax 85
Miller welders
Bobkovacs
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Re: Flash rust help!

Post by Bobkovacs »

You need to neutralize the acid with a water/baking soda mix- not just straight water.
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by acourtjester »

Are you mixing the acid with water 50/50?
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
Redneck
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by Redneck »

I have my acid mixed about 50/50 with water. When I take the piece out of the acid, I wash it thoroughly with hot tap water via an electric powerwasher and hang it to dry under a fan. There is very little if any flash rust. I used to neutralize it with an alkaline water rinse, but my current process seems to work better without attempting to neutralize.
MosquitoCreekDesign
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by MosquitoCreekDesign »

Yes I have my acid mixed 50/50.
Torchmate 2 4x8
Powermax 85
Miller welders
OTHill
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by OTHill »

I think the hot water idea is good but dont have it in my shop. I just rinse well with cold water than immediately hit with 4" wire cup wheel till its dry. The wind from the cup wheel seems to help. Only takes a little extra time. Job comes out nice and shiny.
5x10 table,Precision plasma gantry,Cand CNC electronics,Hypertherm 65 plasma,King lathe and mill,255 lincoln mig welder.Dawson Creek BC. Much modified Fastcut 4x8 plasma table with Ethercut

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutters General Forum”