Adding THC to a BaileighP22

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
nota4re
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Adding THC to a BaileighP22

Post by nota4re »

I have a Baileigh P22 CNC table and using a Thermal Dynamics A60 with a machine torch. I've had this for a couple of years now and it has really served me well. I've had no problems other than I seem to use a lot of consumables and I do a lot of babysitting during cuts to maintain torch height (manually). Ugh. The Baileigh table is Chinese as is the controller - being a RichAuto "brand". I have been using there (Chinese) ucancam software to generate the tool path and G-code. I place the gcode file on a USB stick and plug it into the handheld RichAuto controller... and all is good!

But, I want to add THC. I'm looking at this https://www.ebay.com/itm/Automatic-220V ... 2748.l2649 THC and wondering if it will work for my set-up? I have a couple of questions for the experts out there.

1) I believe before this THC fires the plasma, it will touch the part and then rise to the specified height. This is important to me as I want to have a pierce height and then to maintain a height (voltage) throughout the cut. (I think some of the older THC's are only capable to maintain a height while cutting??) My confusion comes in because prior to this THC addition, all of the motion and start/stops is coming from my controller and I don't know how this THC "sits" in the system and can share control?? In other words, right now my controller says go to this x, y coordinate and turn on the torch. If I add the THC, I WANT it to go to the x,y coordinate - then check and set height before firing the plasma. How is this "control" hand-off achieved?

2) This kit includes a goofy looking rod and ring "thingy" that looks like it is intended to be parallel to the torch and actually does the "touching", etc. Is this just an alternate method of THC? I have seen many THC systems that just have the torch and touch the torch to the plate to determine distance (height). Will I be compelled to use this rod and ring approach?

Note that I have asked this question of the Ebay seller but lets just say that communication is challenging at best. I don't mind to buy it and invest some time to get it to work.... but if it's not possible, I don't want to be throwing my money away. Any insights would be appreciated.
nota4re
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Re: Adding THC to a BaileighP22

Post by nota4re »

I think I am getting a better understanding. The included rod and ring are in case you want to use a capacitance for height control instead of voltage, so in my case, I don't think I will use that. In terms of connections, I managed to get the Chinese to English converted manual. Here is the connection diagram - and then the further detail the pin numbers;

As can be seen, the only thing they are intercepting is a signal to be able to read torch voltages and then, presumably, the device will maintain this voltage (torch height). So my desire of a more "intelligent" THC isn't going to be met. That said, do you experienced folks believe this $400 system I'm looking at is a worthwhile improvement over the "no height control" that I have now.... or is it more problems than it's worth? Thanks for any feedback/comments.
gamble
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by gamble »

I added flashcut controls and height control. It wasn’t $400 but worth every penny
Torchmate 2x2 - Flashcut
Powermax 45 - Machine torch
Taig CNC Mill - Flashcut
Razorweld Distributor
nota4re
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by nota4re »

Well, I ordered it. Was cutting just the other day and realized how frustrating it was to be constantly checking tip height. I'll provide an update when I get it running.

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutters General Forum”