New here

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
Fabramicator
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

New here

Post by Fabramicator »

Hi I'm Shaun. I'm a chassis fabricator and looking into getting a cnc plasma table soon.
little blue choo
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Re: New here

Post by little blue choo »

Welcome to the forum Shaun. Check out the Arclight tables. One of the better mid priced tables.

Rick
Rick
Arclight 9600 4x8 table
Hypertherm PM65
Acc. Plate Marker, 4 inch Pipe Cutter, Wood Router package
Quincy Q54 compressor 2 stage, 5hp, 60 gal
Refrigerated air dryer & 4 stage filtration system
Software Mach 3, Sheetcam, Solid Edge 2D, Inkscape
Gamelord
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Post by Gamelord »

Awesome, welcome to a world of wealth and knowledge in plasma cutting (we call it plasmaspider). :)
Once you take flight, your eyes will forever be turned to the sky." "Lack of appreciation is the worlds biggest crime."

Torchmate 6x14 w/THC Downdraft
Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 101
Corel Draw / Adobe Illustrator
Torchmate CAD
Fabramicator
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by Fabramicator »

What would be a good system for around $5000?
larrycameron44
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by larrycameron44 »

I don’t think you will find much for $5000 unless a used 2x2 Torchmate or similar $15000-20,000 will get some cool toys though.

Larry Cameron
RusticMetalArt
Fabramicator
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by Fabramicator »

I really only need a 4x4 since mostly ill be cutting out chassis tabs, brackets. Parts to fabricate ford 9" housings and other stuff I need that I'm tired of buying. Not into cutting any art or stuff like that. I found this one just not sure what else is out there. http://eagleplasma.com/4x4-cnc-system.html
exapprentice
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by exapprentice »

Hi "Fabramicator"

I do not ever like spending money with anyone who doesn't at least have an address for all to see :shock:
The whole page seems very sketchy on spec's and details, not sure belt is the way to go :?
I am sure you could find better for just a little more or just build your own ;)
If it was me I would do loads more searching before spending that money
Best Regards to all
Exapprentice :D
(Pete)
10'x5' DIY table / PM 45XP + M/C Torch - Trying to add 4 axis Tube cutting :(
Linux/CommandCandCNC MP3600 / PN200 / DCP-01 / PWM
Solid Edge, Inkscape, SheetCam, Scananything & Andonstar USB Microscope
chasxjs
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by chasxjs »

Appears to be very light weight. As a fabricator, you would likely find yourself constantly wanting to make changes to it to improve it's stability and reliability. If you want a nice table in that price range, seriously consider making your own.
Charles
Shopsmith Lathe
Multiple saws, welders, etc.
Fabramicator
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by Fabramicator »

Honestly I'd like to build my own but I don't have that kind of time to research everything it takes.
exapprentice
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by exapprentice »

Hi "Fabramicator"

I am sure there is an age old saying something like buy cheap & pay dear!!! :o
I agree with "chasxjs" comments above
If your really tempted to go this route then try and find somebody who can spill the beans on what the table is like and any recommendations from other customers who have bought one of these machines

Don't forget you still have some big costs to add in the way of a plasma cutter, compressor, air drying consumables and more time than you think in understanding how all the software plays together and then more time in the learning curve before you start popping out real nice parts :shock:
Buying a table is not like just flicking the switch

I am not in anyway trying to dis-way you from CNC plasma cutting but buying a table is just the start so I am just trying to give you the heads up and be realistic that it is just the start

Lots on this site have done it and are more than pleased with their journey so crack on and go for it ;)
Best Regards to all
Exapprentice :D
(Pete)
10'x5' DIY table / PM 45XP + M/C Torch - Trying to add 4 axis Tube cutting :(
Linux/CommandCandCNC MP3600 / PN200 / DCP-01 / PWM
Solid Edge, Inkscape, SheetCam, Scananything & Andonstar USB Microscope
Fabramicator
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by Fabramicator »

I already have 2 plasma cutters, an 80 gallon compressor, complete drying system, and am a machinist including writing 5 axis cnc programs. All I need is a cheap table ready to go. I'm not gonna use it to make money just save me money so I'm not paying $10,000+ for one. If I had the time to do a DIY table I would but business is good and I work 7 days a week 12 hours a day, luckily I work from home.
tcaudle
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by tcaudle »

http://www.PrecisionPlasmaLLC.com has a new low cost "hobby" grade table that might interest you.
Simko
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by Simko »

I agree... You should build a table! It's been a while since we had a 'new build' on the site to follow. I am getting sick of seeing a bunch of requests for people to trace files for them. :P I want some TECH!

Being a machinist / fabricator, you should have no problem making the frame for your table. As TCaudle pointed out, Precision Plasma has a nice gantry that you can buy and mount to a frame that you fabricate from their provided drawings. I originally started going down the Precision Plasma path, but ended up making my own gantry with lots of good input from people on this site and CNCZone.

Then you buy a motor/control kit from CandCNC and you are up and running for probably 1/2 of what you would pay for a completed table. I built a 5x10 with CandCNC motor/controls, and Hyperthem 85 for around $11k. Granted, I scrounged for parts on Ebay and from friends, but its possible. If you wanted a smaller table and already have a plasma cutter, you should easily be under $10k.

Precision Plasma 4x4 Gantry - $2,800
CandCNC Full automation bundle for up to 100lb gantry - $2845
CandCNC or Velox Z-axis - $400 - $500
Misc stuff (software, switches, wires, etc) - $1k

Total - $7145

Get to work :!:
Steve

Homebrewed plasma table in the works, NSK linear rails, 3.2:1 belt reduction, CandCNC Plazpak 1A with DTHCIV Ethercut, Hypertherm 85, CommandCNC and SheetCAM
Click here for build post

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutters General Forum”