Buying material in bulk, a discussion

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
lilitaly
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Buying material in bulk, a discussion

Post by lilitaly »

How do you buy your material? Do you buy in bulk? Do you purchase volume to get a better price? Pick it up or get it delivered? Do you buy material as needed, monthly, or for a year at a time? For those with a smaller than full-size table, do you have the supplier cut the material or do you do it yourself?

*Not looking to start a "how much is steel in your area?" discussion. I'm talking more about what makes sense for your shop given size/production volume/ material types/ and supply/inventory.*

When I started, I would buy 5 sheets at a time, bring them home and cut them into 2x4 pieces. Two years ago I started buying 2500lb orders, precut, because that's what my pickup can carry. I recently bought a tractor with forks, which has opened up the possibility for delivery (although its somewhat limited because I can't get 18 wheelers to deliver to my shop). I've quoted several larger orders of 5000lbs, but find that I am not getting a worthwhile price break for the volume. I'm trying to figure out what makes sense going forward.

I also found a supplier that does a 40,000lb minimum. It's a fantastic price, but waaaay too much material.

How do you buy your material? Looking for thoughts, ideas and feedback. Thanks!

-Chris
little blue choo
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Re: Buying material in bulk, a discussion

Post by little blue choo »

I purchase mine as needed. I always try to order when I get down to 2 sheets of a given size. My supplier delivers daily and doesn't charge for delivery if I order $50 worth which means I only have to order 2 sheets to meet their quota. That being said it doesn't make sense for me to stock a lot of material.

Rick
Rick
Arclight 9600 4x8 table
Hypertherm PM65
Acc. Plate Marker, 4 inch Pipe Cutter, Wood Router package
Quincy Q54 compressor 2 stage, 5hp, 60 gal
Refrigerated air dryer & 4 stage filtration system
Software Mach 3, Sheetcam, Solid Edge 2D, Inkscape
tnbndr
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by tnbndr »

I only keep a couple sheets in stock for quick orders or if I want to cut something to try. Otherwise I to pick up steel as needed when I have orders.
Dennis
LDR 4x8, Scribe, DTHCIV
Hypertherm PM45, Macair Dryer
DeVilbiss Air America 6.5HP, 80Gal., 175psi, Two Stage
16.9scfm@100psi, 16.0scfm@175psi
Miller 215 MultiMatic
RW 390E Slip Roll (Powered)
AutoCAD, SheetCAM, Mach 3
http://ikescreations.com
steel 35
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by steel 35 »

The price breaks are huge, wish I could just sign up for an account and get the break but the tonnage I cant do; I buy 3 sheets or so at a time. No one close stock's 4 X cold, 5 X 10 only. Some days I wish I had gone 5 X 5.
If you know someone that does the tonnage ask what they pay, after you buy them a cold Beer :mrgreen:
PPL HDG 4X8
Hyp 65 duramax's
C&CNC 620-5 Ethernet
Inkscape, Solid Edge, Sheetcam, Autocad 2K
Corel X7 Student NO DXF!
EasyScriber
little blue choo
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by little blue choo »

Unless you're cutting 8 hours a day 5 days a week I would thing you would be better off buying your material as you need it.

Rick
Rick
Arclight 9600 4x8 table
Hypertherm PM65
Acc. Plate Marker, 4 inch Pipe Cutter, Wood Router package
Quincy Q54 compressor 2 stage, 5hp, 60 gal
Refrigerated air dryer & 4 stage filtration system
Software Mach 3, Sheetcam, Solid Edge 2D, Inkscape
Merica_Metal
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by Merica_Metal »

I just bought 28,000lbs of 14ga cold rolled for .21lb :) They miss cut on a job. most sheets are 49x24.875 which is perfect for my 4x4 biggest sheets are 50x120.

Figure I have 912 49x24.875 pieces and if I can make $200 a sheet min that's $182k not bad for a $6k investment. No risk no reward right :lol:

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

2017 Shop Sabre SideKick 4
Upgrades: Marker/Plotter, Laser sights, Engraver
Hypertherm PM65
_Ogre
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by _Ogre »

Merica_Metal wrote:I just bought ...
NO YOU DIDN'T
YOU STOLE DAT :mrgreen:
bulltear 4x8 cnc plasma table, candcnc bladerunner w/dthc, hypertherm powermax 65, sheetcam, mach3
laser cross hair for hypertherm torch http://www.plasmaspider.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=12508
an ogre smiley :mrgreen: how cool!
Merica_Metal
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by Merica_Metal »

_Ogre wrote:
Merica_Metal wrote:I just bought ...
NO YOU DIDN'T
YOU STOLE DAT :mrgreen:
It was weird how it all worked out to be honest. I just got my machine last week after a 11week wait. I went to get 2 sheets of 14ga and 2 sheets of 16ga. While waiting to be loaded I saw a big fork lift full with 1/8 dump it all in a scrap dumpster. I get out look at the plate and its perfect. Ask the workers and they said ya they scrap all the time if the plates have dings scraps etc. :shock: Talked to the sales guys said I would use mostly 14ga. He said he had 28,000lbs from a job they miss cut and he'd sell it for .41lb I pretty much told him to pound sand as I just paid you .46lb retail no way in hell I taking a .05lb discount. So I said if you will do .21 I'd be interested. He replied back sure but you gotta take all 28,000lbs. O and that included delivery.

So its a goal to see how fast I can run through this 28,000lbs. as there is a lot of $$$$$ to be made with these margins :lol:
2017 Shop Sabre SideKick 4
Upgrades: Marker/Plotter, Laser sights, Engraver
Hypertherm PM65
lilitaly
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by lilitaly »

$0.21/lb is an awesome deal! If you also recycle, subtract that from the cost of the material and it's even less expensive!

I found a distributor a few hours away that offered a price 35% cheaper than my local options; the catch is I would need to go pick it up myself. I priced out a Penske flat bed truck, which costs $600 for the day (including fuel, mileage, insurance etc) and has a 10,000lb capacity. If I order 10,000 of steel from these folks; even after the cost of the truck rental I would still be saving $1,500 or 30% savings per pound. I think this justifies a day trip!

-Chris
_Ogre
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by _Ogre »

bulltear 4x8 cnc plasma table, candcnc bladerunner w/dthc, hypertherm powermax 65, sheetcam, mach3
laser cross hair for hypertherm torch http://www.plasmaspider.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=12508
an ogre smiley :mrgreen: how cool!
bigcreek
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by bigcreek »

Ill usually buy between 30 and 100 sheets at a time of what I use the most of which is 10 gauge just because of the cost savings per pound for buying bulk. Buying in bulk will save me around .20 per pound usually. 5x10 sheets. Other sizes I don't use a lot of I buy as I need. Actually Ill keep a sheet or two of many sizes in stock I don't use a lot of so I have it on hand if I need it which always comes up eventually.
Dana gear
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by Dana gear »

I know it's a cost issue and some people just don't need a bunch of sheet at all times, That said we get a massive price reduction when we purchase larger volumes from the suppliers that sell to the local steel yards, I let a couple local shops (friends) piggy back off our orders, they simply add there orders to ours, helps both ways increases my weight and they get our pricing. Yes they have to come to our yard to fork it on to there trailers.
We pay about 60-75 percent of what the local yards sell for.
Shop around steel prices are all the place, go with a steel supplier that is moving a lot of product if you can, they tend to be a little cheaper.

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutters General Forum”