Ohmic question

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
Febreze85
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Ohmic question

Post by Febreze85 »

So I picked up a used plasma table setup about a month ago and I’m planning on converting it to ohmic my question is it already has a floating head setup on it but it’s pretty cheap so my plan in to yank that off and put a break away torch holder on with the ohmic would that work fine or should I order a different floating head for back up?
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Ohmic question

Post by jimcolt »

Totally depends on what table (brand, model) what electronics and cnc control, what software and what plasma. If you can provide more info we may be able to help! Jim Colt Hypertherm
Febreze85
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Febreze85 »

The table is an older 4x8 router table that was converted over to plasma, it’s running the CandCNC dragon cut stepper setup and for the cutter it’s using a Hypertherm 45 not the xp45 though.
I’m also building a water table for it aswell I no the ohmic can be fussy with water so Im still on the fence about going this route over a floating head with voltage height control.
tcaudle
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by tcaudle »

Any ohmic will miss or false with a water table. The floating head is there to be the backup for the Ohmic (mechanical touch off) . If you don't mind picking up and remounting the torch head (better make sure it has breakaway sensors or it will just drag it around the table with the torch on) every time it misses then you can use a semi rigid mount. Better make sure the breakaway mount will come off on a missed touch off or you will be buying torch barrels !

There is a plugin Ohmic sensor for the Bladerunner Plasma controller.

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutters General Forum”