Anything that works like muriatic acid on steel but for stainless?

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
Econdron
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Anything that works like muriatic acid on steel but for stainless?

Post by Econdron »

The stainless pieces I put in the acid just turned yellow and the dross didn't loosen up at all.
tnttracy
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Re: Anything that works like muriatic acid on steel but for stainless?

Post by tnttracy »

the closest that i think youll find is an eletropolishing set up. for small pieces i use a 5 gallon bucket with citric acid and my thermal arc 95s as a power source. 24hrs in and all the black 'sugaring' is gone and the piece has a uniform appearance
Econdron
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by Econdron »

Does the length of time change depending on how much is in the bucket? I wouldn't be opposed to buying a larger power source and a bigger bucket... I have 1,000 lengths of 3/4" square tubing about 5" long with a plasma cut notch out of them. Inside of the tubes need to be burr-free because a square bar slides inside of it. I can send a broach down the the tube to clean it out, but I'd rather just throw batches of them in a bucket for a day or so.
tnttracy
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by tnttracy »

i imagine time would change i think there are calculators online somewhere that could help but i haven't gotten that into it. also if the cuts have any dross build up on the back side allot of it will still remain, and need to be manually removed. it basically removes anything not 'stainless'. the citric acid is pretty mild too, there is a product called walter surfox-t that is supposed to work really good. i bought some but havent had time to try it out yet

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutters General Forum”