What are the best electronics

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
Rodw
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Re: What are the best electronics

Post by Rodw »

Dan, we have about 4000 parts at work which we outsource to various laser cutters. Its rare for us to go past 10mm but when we do, we jump to 32mm. None of the laser cutters go past about 16mm. These thick parts either get cut on high def plasma or flame cut. The high def plasma requires less cleanup but because of a better turnaround we usually go with the flame cut guy and his 90 metre long table.... We think a 130 amp High Def plasma can cut all of our parts except one stainless steel logo plate which we can get laser cut for about $2-$3 a piece.

Its funny but a week or so ago an ex-forum member was bemoaning the fact that all of the technical guys on this forum seem to have gone and that most users now are using OEM type machines and are not really interested in dabbling in the stuff I have been playing with. But there are plenty of DIY tables here as SImko has just shown..
Simko
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by Simko »

I started to go down the path of building my own control system, I even took apart old DVD drives and took the steppers out of them to build a 'mini-cnc' to get my feet wet. I got it to the point that I could draw pictures on post-it notes, but once I started looking into what it takes to really make a plasma torch cut well, I decided it was more than I wanted to get into.

I draw my parts in QCad or Inkscape (free)... Load DXF or SVG into SheetCAM (the best $$ you will spend during the project), tell it what material I am using, how thick, and what amp consumables and it makes a TAP file that tells CommandCNC exactly what to do (including changing the current and air pressure settings on my PM85). 8-)

It sometimes feels like I am cheating when I read the posts about all of troubles that some people have getting accurate cuts with minimal dross.
Steve

Homebrewed plasma table in the works, NSK linear rails, 3.2:1 belt reduction, CandCNC Plazpak 1A with DTHCIV Ethercut, Hypertherm 85, CommandCNC and SheetCAM
Click here for build post
DanM
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by DanM »

Rodw wrote:Dan, we have about 4000 parts at work which we outsource to various laser cutters. Its rare for us to go past 10mm but when we do, we jump to 32mm. None of the laser cutters go past about 16mm. These thick parts either get cut on high def plasma or flame cut. The high def plasma requires less cleanup but because of a better turnaround we usually go with the flame cut guy and his 90 metre long table.... We think a 130 amp High Def plasma can cut all of our parts except one stainless steel logo plate which we can get laser cut for about $2-$3 a piece.

Its funny but a week or so ago an ex-forum member was bemoaning the fact that all of the technical guys on this forum seem to have gone and that most users now are using OEM type machines and are not really interested in dabbling in the stuff I have been playing with. But there are plenty of DIY tables here as SImko has just shown..
It's interesting to hear about the high def plasmas, I'm not aware of a shop in my area that has one. I'm sure there are some but almost every one I know uses either laser or water jet. Maybe it's a Southern California thing? I have done business with some big shops down here and they all uses laser and water jet. Especially in the off-road/custom car industry, everyone I have ever met uses laser or water jet for their high tolerance parts. I have one friend that has a cnc plasma for the low tolerance parts they manufacture. I fall into this category for my non machined parts. Thus the interest in building a table.

Thanks for the info again Rod. I've been in contact with some vendors and am getting closer to making a decision on how this thing will be put together.
Last edited by DanM on Sat Aug 26, 2017 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
motoguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by motoguy »

Rodw wrote:Dan, you really owe it to yourself to go and get a demo on a Hypertherm High Definition system say around 130 amps. We have a table manufacturer here and seeing what one of their 3mm x 1.5m $130k tables can do is an eyeopener. They can replace laser cutting for all but the finest of parts and cut upto 32mm plate with perfect finish. You can still use compressed air but they can swap a few gasses around and plate mark. All of us here are just playing with toys...
I'm curious about this. What is kerf width on a high def plasma system? What drives the decision to go laser or high def plasma?
Bulltear 6x12 w/ Proton Z axis & watertable
CommandCNC/Linux w/ Ohmic & HyT options
Hypertherm Powermax 85 w/ machine torch
Solidworks, Coreldraw X7, Inkscape, Sheetcam
tcaudle

Post by tcaudle »

Tom, I think I'm closer than most people realise.
Perhaps, but if you can't hold + - 1 arc volt deviation at 250 IPM then you are going to be limited. OTOH it may not matter with the Everlast.
Rodw
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by Rodw »

tcaudle wrote:
Tom, I think I'm closer than most people realise.
Perhaps, but if you can't hold + - 1 arc volt deviation at 250 IPM then you are going to be limited. OTOH it may not matter with the Everlast.
I'm always up for a challenge. I'm at +-1.4 now. Thats well within the +-2-3 volts Jim Colt has quoted. Bear in mind I've taken 12 months to build a table and have only been able to play with the Torch Height control for a week or so. And yes, the poor old Everlast is unlikely to ever need to go past 200 in/sec.
motoguy wrote: I'm curious about this. What is kerf width on a high def plasma system? What drives the decision to go laser or high def plasma?
Motorguy, I'm no expert on this. I do know manufacturers that have both. You still have the hardening of steel around the kerf with plasma you don't get with laser. Laser I think has less chance of bevelled edges. Laser can cut holes that can be tapped right off the bat down to M4 (3.2mm hole). You can't do that with plasma. I think if you are welding and fabricating, you don't need the accuracy of laser but you might if you are laser cutting parts for further machining operations. Of course plasma has much lower running costs, significantly lower capital costs and can cut thicker steel. I suspect High def plasma will gain market share as the technology develops. There will be others that know a lot more than I do.

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutters General Forum”