Using Drawing Pads to Create Graphics?

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
plasmartist
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Using Drawing Pads to Create Graphics?

Post by plasmartist »

Has anyone here used drawing pads to create or edit graphics? Years ago a photographer friend of mine was showing off his pad and stylus, however its beauty was lost to me at the time because I had no use for it. Now I'm wondering if it would be a helpful tool, or at least worth investing in. I have seen some on amazon for $50, but I have my doubts that they are quality enough for what we do.

Another thing I have thought about doing, since the majority of my computer work is on a 2 in 1 laptop, is getting a nice stylus and wearing gloves so I can rest my hand on the screen without interfering with tracing or drawing.

I greatly appreciate others feedback and experience.

BTW the main program I use is inkscape, and on occasion I use sold edge.
Gamelord
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Re: Using Drawing Pads to Create Graphics?

Post by Gamelord »

Wacom makes an excellent drawing pad.
http://www.wacom.com/en-us/products/pen ... -pro-paper
Once you take flight, your eyes will forever be turned to the sky." "Lack of appreciation is the worlds biggest crime."

Torchmate 6x14 w/THC Downdraft
Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 101
Corel Draw / Adobe Illustrator
Torchmate CAD
tcaudle
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by tcaudle »

Drawing pads are great for two things: Digitizing a drawing (hard copy) and those with a problem using a mouse to draw stuff on screen. Its easier to take a large line drawing , tape it to the pad and digitize it there than to scan and do it with a mouse. The larger the pad the more useful it is. There are some artists that like to use it because you can do freehand drawings a lot easier than with a mouse (like they would on a canvas or paper.) For CAD and mechanical drawing it's less useful. If you spend a lot of time at the computer doing tracing (digitizing) or freehand drawings (you are and Artist versus a Draftsman) and you can dedicate the desk space to a larger drawing pad then t will pay off. Its basically another form of input device. Smaller pads are not in my estimation much better than the drag pad on a laptop.
plasmartist
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by plasmartist »

Thanks tom, I think I'm still going to get a decent stylus and wear a glove while drawing so I can rest my hand on the screen itself. I know that eventually with practice I can get better with my standard mouse pad, but at this point I feel I am exponentially better at drawing by hand than with a mouse. We'll see.
tcaudle

Post by tcaudle »

One gloved hand....reminds me of a once great pop singer!
robertspark
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by robertspark »

These go for not a lot via fleebay, I have one there are reviews on YouTube
https://www.huiontablet.com/huion-new-1060-plus.html
kb3gun
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by kb3gun »

I've had the Wacom Cintiq 13HD for a few years now and don't know what I'd do without it. I haven't looked for a replacement, so I have no idea whats out there now days.
-Smitty
Torchmate 4X4 Growth Series w/AVHC
Hypertherm PM45 w/ Machine Torch
Miller Syncrowave 210 TIG

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutters General Forum”