What Z axis is everyone using?

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
plasmartist
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

What Z axis is everyone using?

Post by plasmartist »

I built my own table using a gantry kit from ppllc and electronics from candcnc. I have been cutting for the last 6 months but have had an illusive random problem with my z axis. I have come to determine that the pitch of the z axis provided by ppllc was too fine, so to maintain 100 ipm on the z, the motors were running too close to their max rpm and stalling on startup and changing direction. Turning my velocity down to 70 ipm helped a little but the problem still occurred, then finally I took it all the way down to 50 ipm and I think I am in the clear, but I ultimately don't want a my z to run at 50 ipm bc whats the point of paying so much more for a decent dthc. So I am in the market to replace my z axis. I have researched a few brands, but to avoid tainting the water, I want to hear what others are using and how much you like them, or what you would have preferred. Thanks.
Econdron
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Re: What Z axis is everyone using?

Post by Econdron »

I have the same setup, I haven't had a problem running 100 ipm. Are you sure you have the correct steps per inch value? When you jog the z-axis 1", does it actually move 1"?
tcaudle
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by tcaudle »

At one point PPLLC had offered a Z with a 12 TPI pitch that results in 23,000 steps per unit. If you use the max RPM of the motor around 600 RPM you end up with about 50 IPM max. Its like being stuck in first gear and you motor will not do more RPM to get you to 100 MPH

The lead screw can be replaced with a recommended 5 TPI then 100 is easy to get. Steppers have a definite RPM VS torque curve and at some point they lose so much torque they can no longer lift the load.
plasmartist
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by plasmartist »

Tom hit that on the head with the 12 TPI issue. Where would one find the parts to update it? Is it something that ppllc would sell? Here's the model I have for reference.
z.PNG

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

edclayton1
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by edclayton1 »

If you are looking for something different, take a look at the Velox Z axis. I bought two of them so far for two different machines and they seem to be really well built. I found them on both their own website and on ebay. Some of them are made for plasma and some are made for routers with slightly different spec.'s 8-)
Home Built 4 * 8 table
Bladerunner
Miller Syncrowave 250 TIG welder
Miller 211 Wirefeed Welder
Bridgeport Mill
Jet 13 * 40 Lathe
Hypertherm Powermax 65
80 gal 2 stage 175 PSI Emax air Compressor

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutters General Forum”