Battery Backup UPS Power Source

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
yeomansjon
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Battery Backup UPS Power Source

Post by yeomansjon »

Does anyone run their table and computer off of an uninterruptible power source (UPS)? Does it negatively affect the height control at all? I was just wondering if there's a chance that the 'neutral' from the two power sources was at a slightly different voltage potential reference point if that would cause a problem with height control. It's probably far fetched, but just wondering if anyone has a UPS and if they've had problems.

My workshop has 'dirty' power, meaning the neutral and earth ground are not very good so i'm continually getting voltage spikes from other equipment running. I have lost 3 computers and a Pcam DHC controller from this problem. I'm considering running the computer and controller off of a UPS because essentially it's a battery charger hooked to a battery that powers an inverter that puts out clean constant AC power that wouldn't be affected by voltage spikes from other equipment.
Fast Jonny Custom Design
CNC Plasma Cutting
Plasmacam DHC
Hypertherm Powermax 1000
www.facebook.com/fastjonnycustomdesign
WyoGreen
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Re: Battery Backup UPS Power Source

Post by WyoGreen »

I've run my computer and controller from a UPS for years and had no problems at all. I set it up mainly to help filter any noise out of the AC.

Steve
Precision Plasma gantry
CommandCNC Linux controller w/Feather Touch & PN200 hand controller
HT-45 plasma cutter
Plate Marker
Router
Laser
larrycameron44
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by larrycameron44 »

yeomansjon wrote:Does anyone run their table and computer off of an uninterruptible power source (UPS)? Does it negatively affect the height control at all? I was just wondering if there's a chance that the 'neutral' from the two power sources was at a slightly different voltage potential reference point if that would cause a problem with height control. It's probably far fetched, but just wondering if anyone has a UPS and if they've had problems.

My workshop has 'dirty' power, meaning the neutral and earth ground are not very good so i'm continually getting voltage spikes from other equipment running. I have lost 3 computers and a Pcam DHC controller from this problem. I'm considering running the computer and controller off of a UPS because essentially it's a battery charger hooked to a battery that powers an inverter that puts out clean constant AC power that wouldn't be affected by voltage spikes from other equipment.

Yep me too. Run the laptop, avhc and signal generator all through a 750watt UPS and never had a issue in 5 years.
Initially is was done for power outage as it kept the torch head on the correct path when the power cut, so now the plasma turns off but it keeps the torch on the correct path, so makes an easy restart.

Larry Cameron
RusticMetalArt
motoguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by motoguy »

Control computer (linux) is on one APC UPS. Table computer (white box) is on another APC UPS. Drawing / general purpose computer is on a 3rd APC UPS. I've had this setup since day one, never had an issue.
Bulltear 6x12 w/ Proton Z axis & watertable
CommandCNC/Linux w/ Ohmic & HyT options
Hypertherm Powermax 85 w/ machine torch
Solidworks, Coreldraw X7, Inkscape, Sheetcam
motoguy

Post by motoguy »

motoguy wrote:Control computer (linux) is on one APC UPS. Table computer (white box) is on another APC UPS. Drawing / general purpose computer is on a 3rd APC UPS. I've had this setup since day one, never had an issue. As mentioned above, primary benefits were 1) filter, 2) give time to shut everything down if there's an outage/surge, and 3) surge buffer.
Bulltear 6x12 w/ Proton Z axis & watertable
CommandCNC/Linux w/ Ohmic & HyT options
Hypertherm Powermax 85 w/ machine torch
Solidworks, Coreldraw X7, Inkscape, Sheetcam
Francisco
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by Francisco »

Running PC and controller from a single, adequately sized UPS is quite helpful in resolving noise issues. If your THC has a separate power input, I'd also run it through the same UPS.
tcaudle

Post by tcaudle »

A UPS is typically NOT a battery running an inverter that isolates it from the line all ot the time. 90% are standby (like a big transfer switch) that cut in only when the line drops out. They typically do have line filtering so that can help some but bad enough noise and spikes can still get through. You either need an "online" type UPS (that is basically what you describe as running off a battery and inverter) or A constant voltage source (like the older SOLA power supplies) Surge protectors are not much good for spikes below about 600V.

You might benefit from a Line conditioner / filter more than a standby type UPS (unless you have lots of line drops (brown -outs) or short duration power outages.
WyoGreen
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by WyoGreen »

My UPS has two rows of plugs, one row is a standby row, and the other row is off the battery via an inverter. So you need to pay attention to which UPS you buy.

Steve
Precision Plasma gantry
HT-45 plasma cutter
Plate Marker
Router
Laser
Rodw
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by Rodw »

Sounds like the OP can benefit from a UPS of any kind. Over 80% of PC problems are as a result of power problems. However, as Tom said, to be safe in a very harsh environment, you will need an online UPS. These are more expensive to buy (and run as batteries do not last as long). But maybe you also should get an electrician to review the wiring in your building to see if you can solve problems by changing the wiring as well.
yeomansjon
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by yeomansjon »

WyoGreen wrote:My UPS has two rows of plugs, one row is a standby row, and the other row is off the battery via an inverter. So you need to pay attention to which UPS you buy.

Steve
tcaudle wrote:A UPS is typically NOT a battery running an inverter that isolates it from the line all ot the time. 90% are standby (like a big transfer switch) that cut in only when the line drops out. They typically do have line filtering so that can help some but bad enough noise and spikes can still get through. You either need an "online" type UPS (that is basically what you describe as running off a battery and inverter) or A constant voltage source (like the older SOLA power supplies) Surge protectors are not much good for spikes below about 600V.

You might benefit from a Line conditioner / filter more than a standby type UPS (unless you have lots of line drops (brown -outs) or short duration power outages.
Rodw wrote:Sounds like the OP can benefit from a UPS of any kind. Over 80% of PC problems are as a result of power problems. However, as Tom said, to be safe in a very harsh environment, you will need an online UPS. These are more expensive to buy (and run as batteries do not last as long). But maybe you also should get an electrician to review the wiring in your building to see if you can solve problems by changing the wiring as well.
Thanks guys, that's great feedback and very helpful. Step 1 for me is to examine and repair the electrical in our workshop. Our earth ground is no good and we will be driving a new one, and also looking at the neutral line to see if that's ok.

But I will definitely look into an 'Online' UPS now that I know the difference. Next question would be how big the UPS should be? Do I need 1500w or can I get away with something a little smaller? Would be running the computer, monitor, and Plasmacam DHC Controller off of it.
Fast Jonny Custom Design
CNC Plasma Cutting
Plasmacam DHC
Hypertherm Powermax 1000
WyoGreen
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by WyoGreen »

You need to look up the wattages pulled by each of those 3 components and add them up to get the wattage of the UPS you need, Since your plasma cutter will be down, you just need the UPS to last long enough to safely shut down your 3 components.

Steve
Precision Plasma gantry
HT-45 plasma cutter
Plate Marker
Router
Laser
yeomansjon
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by yeomansjon »

WyoGreen wrote:You need to look up the wattages pulled by each of those 3 components and add them up to get the wattage of the UPS you need, Since your plasma cutter will be down, you just need the UPS to last long enough to safely shut down your 3 components.

Steve
Thanks Wyo, and I agree. I tried to get a feeling for how much power the Pcam controller and servo motors draw worst case but I can't seem to find that documented anywhere. I can assume the computer and peripherals use less than 500W, but the Pcam spec just says to have 120V 10A (1200 VA) service available. I don't think it's using 1200 Watts but I don't know how much less.

I'll probably just go with a 1500W and see how things go. Thanks again guys for the help.
Fast Jonny Custom Design
CNC Plasma Cutting
Plasmacam DHC
Hypertherm Powermax 1000
djreiswig
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by djreiswig »

You can buy a deal called a kila-a-watt. It will show you the energy usage.
http://www.p3international.com/products/p4460.html
Usually the board stores have them, or Walmart.
2014 Bulltear (StarLab) 4x8
C&CNC EtherCut
Mach3, SheetCam, Draftsight
Hypertherm PM65
Oxy/Acetylene Flame Torch
Pneumatic Plate Marker, Ohmic, 10 inch Rotary Chuck (in progress)
tcaudle

Post by tcaudle »

Not sure why you would want to continue to power your controller and move the table when the plasma , lights, stereo , fans and iron lung are all off?
Don't you want the motors to stop moving? Maybe it will if you lose arc but then they don't need the controller on anyway. You primary concern is to not hard crash your computer and give you time to shut it down normally. If the software maintains position (remembers where it was) then it won't hurt to not have the controller powered. In some controllers if the motor power is turned off (for any reason) it send and e-stop to the PC and software that stops the code from running.
yeomansjon
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by yeomansjon »

tcaudle wrote:Not sure why you would want to continue to power your controller and move the table when the plasma , lights, stereo , fans and iron lung are all off?
Don't you want the motors to stop moving? Maybe it will if you lose arc but then they don't need the controller on anyway. You primary concern is to not hard crash your computer and give you time to shut it down normally. If the software maintains position (remembers where it was) then it won't hurt to not have the controller powered. In some controllers if the motor power is turned off (for any reason) it send and e-stop to the PC and software that stops the code from running.
The only reason I'm looking into a UPS is to protect the computer and controller from voltage spikes, surges, etc. We're having power issues in our workshop and while we're trying to fix those, I need to get a UPS in so I don't keep losing computers. Have lost 3 in the past 4 years.
Fast Jonny Custom Design
CNC Plasma Cutting
Plasmacam DHC
Hypertherm Powermax 1000
kb3gun
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by kb3gun »

I use a small APC650 for my laptop, avhc and controller. As stated above, more for protection from surges (storms and shop equipment) than anything else. The battery part I don't really care about.
-Smitty
Torchmate 4X4 Growth Series w/AVHC
Hypertherm PM45 w/ Machine Torch
Miller Syncrowave 210 TIG

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutters General Forum”