Exair cabinet cooler

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
Pat4rd
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Exair cabinet cooler

Post by Pat4rd »

Last week I purchased a Quincy 60 5hp compressor.. man what a difference. On Saturday I decided to Put it to the test. It easily supplied enough air for my equipment. I did have a detailed cut I needed to do out of 3/16. Around 11 mins in my duty cycle was reached on my 45xp and it shut down. I don't blame it- it was a really hot day and my shop does not have ac. Looking for a fix to that problem I came across a product called exair cabinet coolers. I have my plasma in a cabinet along with my computer tower. They share a 4.5" filtered cooling fan. I was thinking about mounting one of these exair coolers behind my 45xp to keep it a little cooler. Is that a good alternative? I have seen code snippets to pause the table and let my plasma cool down but I have not figured out how to do that.. im going to start researching it. I do use sheetcam and Mach 3. Thanks for any info! The pic of my cabinet was taken awhile back, it does have front doors on it now
IMG_2667.PNG

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

Millermatic 252
Hypertherm 45xp machine torch
Eagle 4x4
Mach3, sheetcam, adobe il, inkscape
Proma 150 floating head, Quincy 5hp 60gal, 3 stage dryer.
Pat4rd
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Re: Exair cabinet cooler

Post by Pat4rd »

I have seen the stop command is (M00) do I just do a edit g-code and throw that M00 in before it fires the torch?
Millermatic 252
Eagle 4x4
steel 35
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by steel 35 »

Looks great; Not sure if the tower and plasma play well that close together?
PPL HDG 4X8
Hyp 65 duramax's
C&CNC 620-5 Ethernet
Inkscape, Solid Edge, Sheetcam, Autocad 2K
Corel X7 Student NO DXF!
EasyScriber
Pat4rd
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by Pat4rd »

:lol: So far they're playing nice.. I have spaced them farther apart but I haven't seen any signs of glitching. Knock on wood
Millermatic 252
Eagle 4x4
little blue choo
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by little blue choo »

Hey Pat4rd,
I see you are running Mach3. If you want to pause your cut to allow your 45XP to cool just hit the Feed Hold button on the Mach3 screen when it's between cuts and the machine will pause. Once cooled, hit Run and the machine will continue your cut.

Rick
Rick
Arclight 9600 4x8 table
Hypertherm PM65
Acc. Plate Marker, 4 inch Pipe Cutter, Wood Router package
Quincy Q54 compressor 2 stage, 5hp, 60 gal
Refrigerated air dryer & 4 stage filtration system
Software Mach 3, Sheetcam, Solid Edge 2D, Inkscape
Pat4rd
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by Pat4rd »

that sounds like a good solution to my problem! thanks rick. i did see where a guy ran a window ac to his cabinet to keep components cool. lots of great ideas on here but for right now i will probably do the feed hold.
Millermatic 252
Eagle 4x4
tnbndr
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by tnbndr »

I have never in 6 years had my PM45 cut out on duty cycle!!!! But I don't have it enclosed in a cabinet. It sits on a shelf at the end of the plasma table.
Why create a problem by enclosing it? And then look for a solution to that problem? JMHO
Dennis
LDR 4x8, Scribe, DTHCIV
Hypertherm PM45, Macair Dryer
DeVilbiss Air America 6.5HP, 80Gal., 175psi, Two Stage
16.9scfm@100psi, 16.0scfm@175psi
Miller 215 MultiMatic
RW 390E Slip Roll (Powered)
AutoCAD, SheetCAM, Mach 3
http://ikescreations.com
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by jimcolt »

I strongly recommend that you take the plasma out of the cabinet. In free air you will not reach duty cycle cutting 3/16". Perhaps on 1/2" on a day that is 104 F or higher you could as the arc voltage is much higher (amps x volts = watts.....more wattage output = higher heat developed). Hypertherm systems are designed to operate in dirty shop conditions, there is a clean side, dirty side inside the power supply and it depends on its microprocessor controlled cooling fan for cooling efficiency....a cabinet will not allow that technology to work.

The cabinet cooler is for computer electronics and their typical low wattage (maybe 700 watts) heat production, not a 6500 watt heat load like the Powermax45 XP!

Jim Colt Hypertherm

Pat4rd wrote:Last week I purchased a Quincy 60 5hp compressor.. man what a difference. On Saturday I decided to Put it to the test. It easily supplied enough air for my equipment. I did have a detailed cut I needed to do out of 3/16. Around 11 mins in my duty cycle was reached on my 45xp and it shut down. I don't blame it- it was a really hot day and my shop does not have ac. Looking for a fix to that problem I came across a product called exair cabinet coolers. I have my plasma in a cabinet along with my computer tower. They share a 4.5" filtered cooling fan. I was thinking about mounting one of these exair coolers behind my 45xp to keep it a little cooler. Is that a good alternative? I have seen code snippets to pause the table and let my plasma cool down but I have not figured out how to do that.. im going to start researching it. I do use sheetcam and Mach 3. Thanks for any info! The pic of my cabinet was taken awhile back, it does have front doors on it now
Pat4rd
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by Pat4rd »

Thanks for the guidance guys. At first it seemed like it would keep everything cleaner, and more organized. Now I see the problems it's created haha. I'll build a little stand off to the side for it tonight
Millermatic 252
Eagle 4x4

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutters General Forum”